Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How do you Prepping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Prepping? Insurance against the inevitable!
(22 October 2013, 17:32)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]Prepping? Insurance against the inevitable!

Lifestyle, hobby, obsession, excuse, escapism, fantasy, or what?
Lifestyle, obsession, for what I think is coming down the track......very soon.... to be honest looking back. I have always been prepping for something, might well be the way I was brought up , the older members remember harder times ........maybe that has an effect.....and ease to do what we do......but I love it and enjoy it and gives me a purpose for breathing in n out.
(22 October 2013, 10:10)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you prep as a lifestyle choice?

An excuse for 'big boys toys'?

A hobby?

A Fantasy?

An obsession?

Escapism from 'reality'?

That wonderful excuse to get you out and about in the wilds more?

Or what?

I don't do "prepping" - it's not something I consider ever really, I just do what I do. I don't go shopping looking for preps as I know some people do, but things that I think I can make use of at a later date just end up in the trolley. No excuses, no reasons, no fantasies nor obsessions. Just day to day life.

Prepping is just another name for being a sensible and responsible adult, able to look after oneself without being a burden upon others. Isn't it?

Most of my big purchases this year have all been "bushcraft" related, things that I get out and use on a weekly basis. Practice makes perfect, an all that jazz.

But this isn't about buying stuff, it's about learning & increasing knowledge. So I go and out "do" - watching videos on YouTube doesn't count, reading forums etc. Sounds good, but you're not "doing" anything, apart from fooling yourself into thinking you've been productive/learnt a new skill.

Get out there, get dirty, get learning.
all great stuff BM and I applaud you for it, but "bushcraft" is only one part of prepping, there is more to surviving TSHTF than say foraging or knowing how to use a fire drill or whatever. to survive TSHTF we need LOTS more skills than bushcraft alone can provide. for instance agricultural and horticultural skills, homesteading and tons and tons of other stuff.
(23 October 2013, 13:20)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]all great stuff BM and I applaud you for it, but "bushcraft" is only one part of prepping, there is more to surviving TSHTF than say foraging or knowing how to use a fire drill or whatever. to survive TSHTF we need LOTS more skills than bushcraft alone can provide. for instance agricultural and horticultural skills, homesteading and tons and tons of other stuff.

"Gardening" as I like to call it Smile

Yes, there are many, many skills that will be required. I only picked bushcraft as it's something that interests me greatly, but that's not the only thing I do.

But it's irrelevant what the subject is - the point I was making is it's the "doing" rather than the "reading about" or "watching online" that give you the skills.
(23 October 2013, 13:52)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]"Gardening" as I like to call it Smile

Yes, there are many, many skills that will be required. I only picked bushcraft as it's something that interests me greatly, but that's not the only thing I do.

But it's irrelevant what the subject is - the point I was making is it's the "doing" rather than the "reading about" or "watching online" that give you the skills.

yes, "practise makes perfect"!!Big Grin but reading about it is usually the first step-for a novice anyway- before going out and perfecting what they have learnt.
(23 October 2013, 14:01)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 October 2013, 13:52)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]"Gardening" as I like to call it Smile

yes, "practise makes perfect"!!Big Grin but reading about it is usually the first step-for a novice anyway- before going out and perfecting what they have learnt.

Yup, as long as it involves DOING something rather than just reading about / watching / listening to then that's cool. I know a few people who call themselves "preppers" who spend a ridiculous amount of time WATCHING videos on YouTube, then claiming they've learnt how to do something. You've not learnt how to do anything until you've DONE IT! You've learnt "about it". Huge difference
(23 October 2013, 15:10)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(23 October 2013, 14:01)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

Yup, as long as it involves DOING something rather than just reading about / watching / listening to then that's cool. I know a few people who call themselves "preppers" who spend a ridiculous amount of time WATCHING videos on YouTube, then claiming they've learnt how to do something. You've not learnt how to do anything until you've DONE IT! You've learnt "about it". Huge difference

ah yes, the attack of the dreaded lesser spotted "armchair prepper"!!Big GrinBig Grin
Prepping? It's a lifestyle, and has been for 30+ years. It all goes back to conversations (not enough conversations, unfortunately) with my grandfather about the "great depression". History does repeat itself, and I never wanted to find myself in the "Grapes of Wrath" scenario with the Joad family.
Pages: 1 2 3