Survival UK Forums

Full Version: American Blackout - Full Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(3 November 2013, 04:20)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 November 2013, 11:07)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Sadly still no joy on getting her on board though. Her words were along the lines of "what's the point...

Apologies for being off-topic but the point has already been raised...

You have my sympathies Rob, I know how hard it is to get through to SWMBO. Sometimes, mine will give me a wee ray of hope, by pointing something out that would be useful or by doing something like buying two of something on offer, so that I can put one by - then at other times, she'll poke a hole in the balloon with something like, "This is your thing, not mine!" or "We don't have money to waste on..."

The best advice I can give you is, don't quit but don't push too hard either. If yours is anything like mine, as soon as she thinks she's being persuaded, the heels dig in like crampons and that only makes it harder!

BP - 'drip-feed' is probably the way to go but I might correct you with, "One day, she might get it..."

quite right GG, lets just HOPE that all OH's who are not on board "get it" before TSHTF or it might be a case of " I told you so"!!
well, i worked some time ago for the electric company for a long while, and may be it is my professional cretinism talking, but whole this event described in the film is not likely to last for so long time. especially in the big centers. nobody in their mind will have the power station control system connected to the internet. actually it is not even necessary.

of course, anywhere anytime there may some accident to happen. and as result there may be some rare case of cascade blackouts will happen, but all of those accidents are very rare and quite easily localized.

even so much "advertized" sun flare event is highly over-exaggerated. it is comparable with the lightning strike and it happen all the time.
now there are lot of safety devices in each power station, relay station, distribution station and even in every bigger consumer connection shield to localize the problem.
actually it is funny to observe how ignorant are all these predictions.

never the less for example the physical damages to relay and distributing stations (like military or terrorist activity) are serious and require long time to repair.
(2 November 2013, 14:40)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 November 2013, 14:06)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]get some prepping books and get her to read them

Unless it's the latest glossy mag with the latest fad diets, this celeb is marrying that celeb etc.. she wouldn't even touch it. It's very frustrating at times. She's the perfect wife for everything else Wink but just won't even entertain prepping. All I can hope for is a widespread power cut this winter (about 8-12hrs, starting in the afternoon/evening should do it for her. I hope). Then I can show her how useful the calor gas heaters, tea light candles, camping stoves etc.. that I already have, really are.

@Geordie-Rob - tell her that River Song says that "Black no longer goes with everything darling but that decent camo is all the rage this winter season"

Make sure that any outfit has room for a flask of Harveys
Pages: 1 2 3