Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Worth Studying, and are you studying?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been looking into studying the ways of Native American's, Vikings, and Mongolians, in regard to their ancient ways of living with the land. It's fascinating, and I'm starting off a deeper study of Native American living, especially those higher up North closer to the arctic circle. Truly fascinating.

Is this kind of study something you're doing much of? If so, any recommendations? If not, can you explain why not?
I'm not doing much studying in this area. I'm picking other peoples brains on this and getting the info I need. I'm more looking at British history though which is more applicable and in answer to your final question. I don't have the time.
Studying like a mad man for an on-line course on the fall of Jerusalem through the University of Tel Aviv. I've been out of college for almost 50 years, and it's rough going for me...
I have a Masters Degree in Pioneers/Cowboys and Indians (History/Cultural Resources Management) from the University of Tennessee and taught in the field for 35 years.

Does that count?
(2 November 2013, 19:35)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Masters Degree in Pioneers/Cowboys and Indians (History/Cultural Resources Management) from the University of Tennessee and taught in the field for 35 years.

Does that count?

Yes. But do you think it has helped your ability to live with nature (damn that sounded very hippie-like) and helped your survival skills?
I have an Honours degree in History/Archaeology
and it has definitely helped my survival skills. I learnt how to knap flint, studied medieval weapons development and their use, spent time with Bowyers who passed on invaluable knowledge.
Humanity had it sussed before some twat invented agriculture in the Neolithic, and along with it Kings, governments and taxesBig Grin
(3 November 2013, 12:45)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Honours degree in History/Archaeology
and it has definitely helped my survival skills. I learnt how to knap flint, studied medieval weapons development and their use, spent time with Bowyers who passed on invaluable knowledge.
Humanity had it sussed before some twat invented agriculture in the Neolithic, and along with it Kings, governments and taxesBig Grin

there weren't too many people and plenty of land back then TH, now its the other way around.
(2 November 2013, 19:38)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 November 2013, 19:35)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Masters Degree in Pioneers/Cowboys and Indians (History/Cultural Resources Management) from the University of Tennessee and taught in the field for 35 years.

Does that count?

Yes. But do you think it has helped your ability to live with nature (damn that sounded very hippie-like) and helped your survival skills?

My degree required more than pure book work. I was required to complete a 6 month internship at an 18th century living history site, and to complete a practicum exercise where I trained a museum staff to operate at 18th century technology.

To complete that exercise I accomplished a Master Blacksmiths rating, allowing me to forge cutlery, make tools and recondition old tooling.

I was also required to make clothing suitable to rough wilderness use from head to toe.

I also became proficient at preserving food using pre-refrigeration/canning technology.

During that time I also built several black powder firearms from scratch, including the lock-work.

One of the hobbies that grew from those experiences was an activity we call "Historic Treking", where we enter the forest with nothing invented after a specific time, usually around 1780, and operate according to an 18th Century scenario.

So yes, I have woven cloth on a loom, sewed it into clothing, strapped on a knife and axe I forged myself, packed a rucksack I made with jerky and parched corn I planted, harvested/killed dried and preserved without modern technology, then picked up a gun I made with my own hands and entered the forest to live on only those items for as long as two months at a time.

Yep, it has helped my approach to survival a little bit.

As for "closeness to nature", that is mostly a crock anyway.

One can go camping and take all the conveniences available with them, sit in their RV and "enjoy nature".

Survival is doing your best not to become "one with nature"!

One spends their entire lifetime attempting to prevent their ashes from being scattered or their bones from being buried and becoming "one with nature".