Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Is Paranoia real, bad, or what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is where people quote Curt Cobain "Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you."

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way...

Paranoia is based on the simple fact that you think something is happening. For example, if you think the postman is stealing your mail, or a medical practitioner is prescribing you the wrong medication, both are forms of paranoia.

However, they are based on opinion, and not on fact.

The issue isn't that paranoia is good or bad. Like when a new person comes into the house and our cats go running under the bed. They do that because of a desire to survive. A natural survival instinct is the foundation of much of our paranoia.

The difference between being paranoid about OPSEC or TEOTWAWKI is no different than the cat running under the bed. Both are just survival mechanisms in play.

The real fun is distinguishing between when you're paranoid if you're 'on to something'.

Using the above examples of post and doctors, if the postman is stealing your mail, then you're correct. 10 points for you. If the doctor is giving you the wrong medication...you're mad right? Go see Harold Shipman and see if you may well be on to something. Just because a doctor is seen as a higher authority figure, they are still human and prone to good and bad behaviour. So however extreme the example you pull forward, the only thing that really matters is the end result.

If you're wrong, you're paranoid.

But if you're right, you're a prophet.

Either way, you're just trying to stay alive.
its only paranoia if your WRONG, not if your right.

is paranoia good for survival? don't know, if you mean not trusting people then maybe its a good thing in terms of survival.
Surely Paranoia is an "unreasonable" fear, one that defies reason. Believing that your postman isn't delivering your mail sounds far fetched, but if you have lost a succession of posted credit cards and there have been unexplained withdrawals on your accounts then you'd be justified in thinking the postie was up to no good.

Some people would consider me paranoid because I have a pessimistic view of the future of the UK economy, the same people probably would have thought the same in 2005 when I thought energy prices were going to rocket. Those people didn't make nearly £100k on their ideas. They don't understand paranoia, it's nothing to do with prepping because prepping is about real threats, not imaginary bogey men.
The exact definition of Paranoia also includes the delusional element, meaning one can see the problem in others but if it involves prepping that is a totally different matter, since prepping deals with "real threats".

All three words are included in the definition, unreasonable, irrational and delusional fear.

That means that the suspected paranoid individual does not get to set the "norm".

That must be done my someone that is recognized as NOT being paranoid.

Paranoia WAS the Greek word for "madness" and the root of all madness.
Paranoia can get you killed, because being paranoid about something can direct you away from any real fears that maybe around,.. as BP said, its ok if your paranoia happens to be about the real fear,.. but it may not be
"Paranoia is irrational, delusional" yeah..but who sets the standard? maybe being paranoid might just save your life one day post SHTF.
(11 November 2013, 16:21)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]"Paranoia is irrational, delusional" yeah..but who sets the standard? maybe being paranoid might just save your life one day post SHTF.

Here in the States it is a Judge and 2 doctors!

If they all sign the papers they can take you to a place where you can get proper help. Medication might be in order, or electric shock therapy in extreme or more persistent cases, especially if antisocial behavior is present.

And using, and having to define, terms like post-SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, TPTB, and OPSEC in the courtroom will pretty much guarantee the decision.
yeah, well believe it or not we don't ALL live in the states.

like I said, paranoia MIGHT just give us the edge post collapse(where there will be NO men in white coats)Big Grin

I have a (really good) friend who is a paranoid schizophrenic, he WASNT before he went into an institution(prison in his case) but he WAS when he came out, its not the paranoia that's his problem its the schizo that is, the paranoia just means he's a little more wary than he would have been otherwise, which is exactly my point.
(11 November 2013, 17:47)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, well believe it or not we don't ALL live in the states.

like I said, paranoia MIGHT just give us the edge post collapse(where there will be NO men in white coats)Big Grin

You might want to check on your laws involving "Sectioning" or "Detention". Almost the exact same process except I think they leave out the Judge in your process.

And you might want to add "Post collapse" to the list of words not to use during the evaluation.
(11 November 2013, 17:59)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]
(11 November 2013, 17:47)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, well believe it or not we don't ALL live in the states.

You might want to check on your laws involving "Sectioning" or "Detention". Almost the exact same process except I think they leave out the Judge in your process.

And you might want to add "Post collapse" to the list of words not to use during the evaluation.

sectioning is a last resort where everything else has failed and ONLY if the person is a danger to themselves or others, unlike America we still have freedom of speech(although I don't know for how much longer), just cos someone is different is no longer seen as an excuse to lock someone away.
Pages: 1 2