Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 52 Weeks to Preparedness - Consolidating my Disorganized Preps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone here attempted or tried the 52 weeks to preparedness challenge? It sets out a small goal to achieve every week, working concentrically, gradually building you up from the most basic preparation to fairly advanced skill development and long term plans. It's also free.

I think this would be a good idea for myself, and anyone else in my situation. My preps are, quite frankly, in a mess. I have some stuff at my student accomodation, but most at home. I have no bug out plan, or BOB. There are many other ares which I am sure are lacking, but hav eno easy way of telling.

Obviously some of the goals are easy, and can be achieved in a day. I intend to go through the sstuff I have to help me achieve each goal, for example, the first week requires a basic set of canned food and other stuff for each family member; I can just select most of this out of my existing storage.
(26 November 2013, 11:51)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone here attempted or tried the 52 weeks to preparedness challenge? It sets out a small goal to achieve every week, working concentrically, gradually building you up from the most basic preparation to fairly advanced skill development and long term plans. It's also free.

I think this would be a good idea for myself, and anyone else in my situation. My preps are, quite frankly, in a mess. I have some stuff at my student accomodation, but most at home. I have no bug out plan, or BOB. There are many other ares which I am sure are lacking, but hav eno easy way of telling.

Obviously some of the goals are easy, and can be achieved in a day. I intend to go through the sstuff I have to help me achieve each goal, for example, the first week requires a basic set of canned food and other stuff for each family member; I can just select most of this out of my existing storage.

you need to inventory(list) the stuff you already have and where, so that you don't double up on stuff(unless you WANT to double up that isBig Grin).
You could make a weekly post on here on what your weekly assignment was and how u completed it.
It does sound interesting.
Some items on the list seem impossible to get in a year, e.g. firearms. Others are impossible to get legally, e.g. certain firearms. But if you're on a reasonable list, it's a pretty good thing and will give you a great heads up.
I could potentially get the shotgun fairly soon as I have almost finished my application, only have to screw in the cabinet. Plus the Norfolk firearms team is very fast apparently.

Week 1 - Basic Emergency Food
Shopping List:
1 gallon of water per day for each family member
2 jars of peanut butter
2 cans of juice per family member
2 cans of meat per family member
2 cans of soup or stew for each family member
3 non perishable items such as cream crackers, ritz etc.
1 hand operated can opener
Permanent marker

I now have 119 2 liter bottles of water, most of it is outside in the shed. Even though i already had most of this stuff I feel much more secure with it being incorporated into a plan.

I was able to find most of the things above in my existing stores; I had loads of cans of fish and chilli con carne. I think you could live on just this for around 6 days, if you knew help was on its way and simply had to wait it out. It would go a lot faster if you had to do a lot of hard work.
I hate to be the "Christmas Grinch" here, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we've got 52 weeks left... I'm hoping for 52 days...
That's awesome Tibbs. I was going to ask where you hid the water, but you covered that.

I really look forward to hearing your progress mate.

(20 December 2013, 22:03)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]I hate to be the "Christmas Grinch" here, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we've got 52 weeks left... I'm hoping for 52 days...

Whether that's true or not is not going to be found out until day 53. Which means that Tibbs will be nearly 8 weeks into his plan. Much better than busting a load of debt to find out it was actually 52 weeks he really had. People have been predicting the end of the world for over 1000 years. Each successive generation believed TEOTWAWKI was going to happen in their lifetimes. There is no reason why we're any more or less likely. So we can but do out best while we're in a situation to do so.
I don't think it will take me anywhere near 52 weeks to achieve these goals; things like "Spiritual preparedness" will not take a solid week, more likely an hour or two spent reflecting/meditating.
(20 December 2013, 22:50)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]People have been predicting the end of the world for over 1000 years. Each successive generation believed TEOTWAWKI was going to happen in their lifetimes. There is no reason why we're any more or less likely. So we can but do out best while we're in a situation to do so.

maybe so, but the human race has been messing up the planet for so long, its got to happen SOONER rather than later, also so many people are populating the planet now using up all the resources that the effect will be felt quickly and more keenly than if it had happened in the past.
Pages: 1 2