Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Any tips on becoming a better aim?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a little question to the shooters out there.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve my accuracy? I can only use the club guns at the minute, and while I'm not horrendous, I do have the odd stray shot that makes me cringe. It's a 20m range so not a huge distance but I want to become accurate & consistent enough to go hunting bunnies (if I can get permission anywhere).

So apart from keep sending more lead down the range, do you have any other tips?

Finally, apologies to BP as I know he isn't a big fan of these gun posts Big Grin
You are a new member in the club so all you have to do is ask....any number of the membership would be glad to give you pointers...shooters are a friendly bunch...when you're not at the firing point yourself take the time to watch other shooters then pick one of the better ones who shoots the discipline / type of gun you prefer and strike up a conversation.

The RO or any committee members are usually old hands and experienced, might be a good place to start.
practise, practise and........practise!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
As SD and most the guys from the Dartmoor trips know, my wife is a crack-shot (I hate her for that).

Her recommendation, shooting sticks. Shooting from prone. Shooting off a platform. Learning about windage (probably not important at 20meters, but I only asked her a basic how can I become a better shot question). One thing she recommended, that really threw me out, get a coach, if that's not possible get a camcorder and record yourself shooting. This should highlight problems with your technique.

That's the best I've got from her. Hope that helps.
(14 December 2013, 18:17)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]You are a new member in the club so all you have to do is ask....any number of the membership would be glad to give you pointers...shooters are a friendly bunch...when you're not at the firing point yourself take the time to watch other shooters then pick one of the better ones who shoots the discipline / type of gun you prefer and strike up a conversation.

The RO or any committee members are usually old hands and experienced, might be a good place to start.

Good idea about watching other shooters, there was a member there the other week who I was informed shoots for the national team. Maybe time for a bit of hovering around him if he's there at the same time.

As for the safety/induction trainer, he told me to aim slightly low, hold your breath then move to the centre & fire. This method sadly didn't seen to work for me, although it might in the future

(14 December 2013, 18:27)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]As SD and most the guys from the Dartmoor trips know, my wife is a crack-shot (I hate her for that).

Her recommendation, shooting sticks. Shooting from prone. Shooting off a platform. Learning about windage (probably not important at 20meters, but I only asked her a basic how can I become a better shot question). One thing she recommended, that really threw me out, get a coach, if that's not possible get a camcorder and record yourself shooting. This should highlight problems with your technique.

That's the best I've got from her. Hope that helps.

I'm still new & it's still early days but I might try the camcorder method & ask about coaching if I don't improve. Please pass on my thanks to Mrs S13

(14 December 2013, 18:23)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]practise, practise and........practise!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Sadly I know this is what it's gonna take overall. Just pleased it's only £3.50 for 50 shots otherwise it could be very expensive Sad
There is another consideration too.....club gun(not usually great) and cheap ammo(virtually never great) £3.50 is fantastically cheap for 50 .22lr......and the club gun has had lots of use and sometimes doesn't get the love and attention it perhaps should as one of the committee usually keeps/cleans/maintains it.

match ammo such as Eley Tenex can be triple that price for the higher build quality and better consistency of charge.

The very best shots I've seen all have system/routine and they never deviate from it , the stance , the grip , the time between shots , the amount of time on target , the breath control none of this ever varies they are like automatons......for target shooting anyway.

are you using the pad of your finger not the knuckle crease?

If the occasional flyer that's spoiling your group is left or right then its probably something you're doing if its up or down then it may be the cheap ammo....a cold clean bore will have a different point of aim to a warm fouled one , so your first round or two can sometimes be a bit random.

and don't worry about group size...it will come down with a bit of coaching and some practice....you'll be tack driving before you know it.
(14 December 2013, 18:45)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]The very best shots I've seen all have system/routine and they never deviate from it , the stance , the grip , the time between shots , the amount of time on target , the breath control none of this ever varies they are like automatons......for target shooting anyway.

Any soldier/ex soldier will tell you that these are the points to consider, comfort and breathing are the two top things.

Practice different positions, and find the one that works for you, sitting, kneeling or lying,.. weapon supported or not

Control your breathing, slow it down and make it shallow, pick your target take up the pressure on the trigger, hold the last breath and squeeze the trigger,..hold the position a second or two after you take the shot
If you are not able to spend more time at the range, "dry firing" to practice grip, sight alignment, breathing and trigger control is a great help. If you are able to practice indoors with an air rifle or pistol, this is helpful. Outdoor, longer range shooting helps to learn to judge wind, etc., but if you can practice indoors in your attic or cellar at small targets which require precision, this is what you want. One you can hit a target the size of a pea with an precision air rifle at 10 metres with some regularity, you can hit the bunnie's eye at the same distance and feed yourself.

A catapault is also good training.
As has already been said, best to get pointers from more experienced members at your club, but as a good explanation of marksmanship principles this is quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFz1P434xc
practice practice and when you think that you are as good as you can be practice more
Pages: 1 2