Survival UK Forums

Full Version: TEOTWAWKI further down the track.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(31 December 2013, 11:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]learn how to maintain an OLD car Scythe, one that dosent have a computer in it that need a diagnostic set up to find just whats wrong with it!!Big Grin

Or drive a 2nd gen Hilux...

I would say a series 2 or defender, but they can be a pain to keep on the road now, let alone after an event.
(31 December 2013, 14:29)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(31 December 2013, 11:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]learn how to maintain an OLD car Scythe, one that dosent have a computer in it that need a diagnostic set up to find just whats wrong with it!!Big Grin

Or drive a 2nd gen Hilux...

I would say a series 2 or defender, but they can be a pain to keep on the road now, let alone after an event.

What do you mean, I drive a defender and all you need to keep it going is a 13mm spanner, a hammer, a bigger hammer (and sometimes an even bigger hammer), plus gaffer tape/cable ties (for things that move, but really shouldn't be moving!!) and WD40 (for things that don't move, but should be moving).

I use it for off-roading and green laning and even when things do break, you can usually get them fixed at the side of the road and on your way again without too much trouble.

We even had someone's gearstick snap right off at the base of the gear stick the other day, but fortunately one of the group had a couple of welding rods with them. So jump leads, welding rods and a couple of batteries and we were even able to reweld the gear stick back in place!! The same could have been done for any other welding repairs as well, but its a useful technique for anyone to know, especially when TSHTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5oLPLUzrM
I have a pathologic hatred of landrovers after spending far to many hours of my life being frozen vibrated deafened and bored silly in them....I think I'd rather walk lol
(31 December 2013, 15:48)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]I have a pathologic hatred of landrovers after spending far to many hours of my life being frozen vibrated deafened and bored silly in them....I think I'd rather walk lol

Sounds like must have been in an old leaf sprung Landy, the coilers are far better. But yes they are like marmite, you either love them or hate them.
Over 85% of landrovers ever built are still on the road!.........the rest made it home...boom boom Angel
>>>"What do you mean, I drive a defender and all you need to keep it going is a 13mm spanner, a hammer, a bigger hammer (and sometimes an even bigger hammer), plus gaffer tape/cable ties (for things that move, but really shouldn't be moving!!) and WD40 (for things that don't move, but should be moving).

I use it for off-roading and green laning and even when things do break, you can usually get them fixed at the side of the road and on your way again without too much trouble.

We even had someone's gearstick snap right off at the base of the gear stick the other day, but fortunately one of the group had a couple of welding rods with them. So jump leads, welding rods and a couple of batteries and we were even able to reweld the gear stick back in place!! The same could have been done for any other welding repairs as well, but its a useful technique for anyone to know, especially when TSHTF"<<<

An example in point! This level of expertise in bodging 4x4's is rarely accumulated across the board to the same degree in the Jap 4x4 crowd! LOL.

The Pajero and Surf I owned were built far more heavy duty than the Landrover I owned. The quality was much higher. The landrover was built with the quality of parts you would expect to find on a larger car ie they were more robust than parts for a smaller car. Whereas the build quality of the Japanese 4x4's was of the same robustness as a light duty truck.
I would have a Landrover again but it would have to be in prime mechanical condition to start off with and I would expect to get my hands dirty far more often. Excellent when working and cheaper to fix against more reliable, less maintenance and more expensive parts (now) for the Jap motors..
Don't get me wrong, I love landrovers. I had a brilliant defender 90, loved it. By far the most competent off road vehicle I've ever been in, but, if you're not a mechanic (which I'm definitely not) then they can be a pain in the arse.

If I had more mechanical knowledge, and didn't drive 500 miles a week, I'd have one like a shot. Well, if I could afford £5k+ for one that's in a good enough state to carry a child and newborn in. Plus on long journeys you can't beat an automatic

My surf will do me for now. Maybe a landcruiser amazon in the future when the tribe expands more Rolleyes
I like the look of the Surf, but also Toyota Hilux (only after TopGear smashed one up and it still ran!!! Blooming amazing!!!)

This thread has gone completely off topic, but it's pretty good.
I have a soft roader(vauxhal Antara) purely because i needed something heavy to tow a horsebox....no intention of taking it off road as its me who will have to pay to fix it...the only occasion i see it being used post shtf is if i have to try and rescue my kids from there mothers home in Gloucestershire(i'd hope to have them close at hand before it kicks off) bol is hikeable in under a day even at a snails pace(moving tactically)
(2 January 2014, 18:25)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ]An example in point! This level of expertise in bodging 4x4's is rarely accumulated across the board to the same degree in the Jap 4x4 crowd! LOL.

Bodging!!

What do you mean Wink

Here's a before and after, admittedly it was on an old 1970's Series III, but even my modern 2003 Defender it has the same gear stick, just with a bit of plastic coating over it!!

Before:
[Image: 20-04-13-C_zps344fc9cc.jpg]

After:
[Image: 20-04-13-F_zps39da142d.jpg]

And apologies for going off topic, but the 'Bush Welding Techniques' is a very useful skill to have, for example you could repair a knife/other tool; or weld sheets of corrugated steel together to form a shelter or any manner of other things....
Pages: 1 2 3 4