Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Wood burning snippet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On local community radio they are chatting about the growth in popularity again of wood and multi fuel stoves, and the announcers asked people to phone in if they have both a stove and a moisture meter for testing the moisture levels in firewood. Only 3 out of 11 had them, and worse some folks did not know the wood was supposed to be dried out before being used, Co Durham creosote central it appears?
Opinions seem to vary re drying wood ready for burning. I guess it's really all down to common sense. I've got a tree surgeon mate who sometimes lets it dry for only 6 months (good summer weather) whereas some insist on a full year no matter what. All down to weather conditions and where/how it's stored. Wood is great but we find we use more coal than anything else cos it lasts so much longer. Did a little price comparison a couple of years ago and coal came out the winner when looking at convenience and price. Doesn't have that wonderful smell though!

I'm often seen taking wood from skips etc, you simply can't beat free wood! Big Grin
Depend if you have a moisture meter at least you monitor your wood that way
I use a moisture meter I got from B & Q it was under £20, works fine I just prod the logs with it and it tells me percentage wise how much moisture there is in it. I've read your supposed to aim for under 10% or all you do is waste energy and create creosote?
I went to a farm diversification expo in london and there was a guy who gave a presentation about wood fuels; apparentl around 170,000 wood stoves were installed last year! There's also some seriously tempting bits of kit on the wood fuels market, like super insulated wood ovens, looked like a dish washer, but you loaded them up in the morning with some nice dry logs and they burnt all day to produce heat. Lots of the big country estates have them apparently.
I burn whatever is driest. I sweep my own chimney (the amount of people I know who dont and do not get anyone into to do it boggles my mind, I should set up some PL insurance and sweep in my spare time) - do it at beginning of stove season, halfway through and at the end.

Most that do get it done have it done at the beginning of the season, just one sweep a year.