Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Old BBC 2 program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's an old BBC2 documentary that is quite disturbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

What's the betting that TPTB's attitudes remain similar to this day?
i watched this for the first time recently...don't know how i missed it first time around but i did , i thought it was pretty realistic and how i thought a massive nuclear exchange might be for the massses , i also believe to a greater lesser extent that the government will respond something like that and we plebs will be treading on each other and worse just to get by
Tried to view .....restricted......bugger!
Amazing that 30 years down the road, and after the fall of the old Soviet Union, the prime movers, area of initial conflict and probability of initiating events remain the same.

And to this day, 10 well placed bombs would eliminate 30% of the population of GB within 3 weeks just due to blast effect and radiation poisoning.
I thought that an EMP would do the job more easily without destroying infrastructure and leaving everyone alive to be slaves when the new powers take over?? isn't an all out nuclear war old hat these days-I didn't think there were any winners in a nuclear exchange??
There aren't any clear winners in an all out nuclear exchange and thats what kept the peace, it was known as mutually assured destruction.
Interesting documentary dramatisation.

Watching it with the wife at the moment.

We're half way through, and it seems a lot of emphasis (or just what I'm picking up on the most) is about Fallout. Very interesting really.
How soon we forget.

Fallout was always the big fear in nuke exchange, capable of far more damage for a longer time than the initial blast. it is why all above ground testing was outlawed and why we were advised not to drink rainwater or eat snow back in the 1960s.

Fallout was the reason they evacuated so much of the Chernobyl area, why food was considered contaminated from such a wide area and is still responsible for many continued problems.

They did not even show the "nuclear rains" that were anticipated, that would last for weeks and drop contaminated water over the countryside.

EMP was never a big concern, since the EMP would not extend much farther than the blast zone and everything inside that area would be melted anyway. You did not really care if your electronics were fried if you were dead anyway.
Upgraded gas masks on the shopping list.

Any suggestions?

Epidemic risks, top 3 likely:

Typhoid
Dysentery
Cholera
how about stupidity/lack of common sense in the general public??
Pages: 1 2