Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Wartime Farm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has anyone else been watching the repeats of this excellent programme on Freeview/Yesterday channel 19 daily at 7pm?? this shows what will have to be done in an emergency situation (in this case it was war but could be any national disaster) with regards to growing food even on less productive land, this farm is predominately clay which is why it was mostly for stock rearing, last night "the boys" were using an Allen Scythe and ploughing up the verges to provide more growing space.
yeah loved it ,very good have you seen how much rations the british people had to live on ,my god I could eat the weeks rations In a day no prob ,back to the war time farm the pilchards and cabbage sandwich which done the way she made them are bloody lovely
did you see the size of those "doorstep" sarnies Ruth was feeding the kids with? bloody hell!Big Grin
During the war years many farmers and smallholders feared the visit of "the man from the ministry" who would turn up to your farm and "log" every pig chicken and supplies you had, to make sure you weren't hoarding.
yes that was fairly obvious on the programme, but I was more interested in what the team were doing in regard to growing and managing the land, also the rationing and the cooking.
makes you think how bad it was for the guys back then,my nan used the black market ,I remember her saying she got a bloody great lump of whale meat said it was bloody nasty stuff

I think you had to fill up on bread mate ,there was not a lot else
Just wonderful! Not all BBC programs are available in the US, but I just watched the first episode on YouTube and t was great! Thank you got these links!
River Song, you are a star.