Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Gear Testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WOO! The next Dartmoor trip is coming up, and I'm double checking my gear. Well hyped.

On top of this, I'm getting out shooting more! Even more hyped because it's this weekend next time I'm out!

I thought about it and there's very little gear that I don't rotate and keep in good working order. Whether it's changing my EDC knife or something like that, or using a torch, checking batteries, and the alike.

This got me thinking, there are a lot of gear junkies out there, and there's nothing wrong with that. But like how NR's sword had issues which he found by checking the gear, what testing do you have for your gear?

The last thing you want is to have a SHTF situation and be locked in on a little bunny, to then find your O-ring has rotted or dried up on your air rifle. Maybe the spring on a trap has broken and you've not realised. Maybe some medical gear has deteriorated, or something like that.

Through regular use and rotating of my gear, e.g. ever month or max of every 3 months, I am able to regularly do maintenance work and test the equipment. My climbing harness is fine, the wife's one is not so tip-top, so needs replacing.

How often do you test your gear and how do you test it?

It's a thought that should be considered with real seriousness. You don't want to be out in the cold, to find your thermals have been chewed to bits by moths or your gas stove has broken.