Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How often do you hunt or trap?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says, how often do you hunt or trap?

Why am I asking? It's not because I'm interested in comparing notes. It's more for those that have gear but don't use it.

I know there are those that are game wardens, those avid hunters, the ferreters and the alike. But if you have all the gear...so what? That doesn't mean you can stalk deer or even rabbits!

That's like saying, having a car makes you a race driver. Until you've used the stuff you have for what you want to do with it, you're just playing on a simulator.

Granted, some elements of hunting e.g. bow hunting, have to be simulated for legal reasons. But there are other parts that can be done. Take animal stalking for an example.

Next time you're in an area where you would hunt, take a nice big old camera, and talk an animal until you can get an awesome photo of it, side ways on. Think how close you'd have to be to get that picture. How much effort it would take. Shooting a camera and shooting a bullet, in this sense, would be similar.

Oh, and you can only take the 1 photo. A second photo is not an option in this simulated example. Maybe clap your hands, or shout bang, when you take the photo, then see how good a second photo is going to be if the first one isn't perfect.

The same with trapping. If you have all the gear, until you try to use it, you'll not know how difficult it can be to set traps. You'll need to set up traps in pathways and the alike, that animals take.

You'll have to be able to recognise tracks, and understand what it is you're dealing with. I'm sure you'd be really happy to approach a trap to find a rabbit in it. But you'd be less impressed to find the remainder of a foxes dinner, that you'd caught for him! How kind you have been to Mr Fox and cubs.

Having gear is great. But having the skills to use it is the difference between fantasy and survival.

How well practiced are you?
not as often as i'd like is the simple answer....sorted out a fox problem for the landowner where we keep our horses last year and a friend with a place on anglesy has me over rough shooting once or twice a year....am currently applying for a couple of centre fire rifles to go stalking so hopefully my hunting will get a bit more frequent in the not to distant future...when i lived in "the south west" i was out most day's with the shotgun the weihrauch or the rimfires , had an 18acre plot with a small copse and a small mixed 320 acre farm to shoot over...open ticket for rimfire , a pair of .22lr (erma semi and finfire)and a new fangled .17hmr anschutz dhb1517....i moved to merseyside for my job and listened to ill informed people that merseyside was a terrible ball ache for firearms possesion so i sold up...huge mistake....am about to right that wrong.
Check my fox snares,rat/rabbit traps twice a day.i have an airrifle in the allotment shed,so i will have a shot at any pideons when they show up
Hunt deliberately about once a month if I feel like it, spontaneously when popping Magpies and Grey squirrels and rats etc as and when they appear in my garden, target practice about once a month with family.