Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What we can learn from Crimea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I live on the edge of a small rural town, made up of some older people but mostly its the young/chav/lumpunt/breeding/slummy mummies who I have no time for and no inclination to want to know, they have no respect for ANYTHING or anyone and its all about their precious offspring, I've got flaming trampolines against my back fence and the little horrors can see right into my living room, we have had to buy extra trellis panels to put on top of the fencing to try and block their view and will be growing something nice and prickly up it! bloody neighbours I hate them, always banging doors and tooting their car horns. bring on TEOTWAWKI I say, cant come soon enough!
I agree, BP. We have one road of people like that - and they're the ones on benefits who have all the time in the world but never volunteer for anything. Come SHTF I know that's where the trouble will come from.

SS - On the gold. My friend only knows one person well enough to ask such a personal question, so these figures are based on a sample of precisely one. It's also complicated by the changing value of the hryvnia, but as far as I can work it out it went like this:
In January he bought gold at UAH 9,700 per troy ounce - which at the (then) exchange rate of 0.075 comes in at about £730. That looks about right for the price of gold in early Jan.
Last week he sold gold at UAH 15,680, ie at a profit of 6,000. It's not as impressive as it looks when we convert it to sterling at today's rate of 0.054 - though it still comes in at £860, which is way higher than the £826 peak which is the highest I've seen over here. It suggests the bank were so keen to get their hands on a solid asset that they paid more than they'd need to on the international market.

But he's still made a bigger profit than the obvious £130 per ounce, because whatever the exchange rate, hryvnia in Crimea is worth as much as it ever was, and he's increased his holding by 6000 per ounce. Katya tells me he's using it now to buy lots of durable goods before the rouble comes in and hryvnia is worthless.

I have a small stock of gold myself, and have been regretting it while the price drops, but this gives me hope of it as a long term investment. In the event of a crisis it literally will be worth... well, gold. Smile
(30 March 2014, 12:29)Little Lou Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, BP. We have one road of people like that - and they're the ones on benefits who have all the time in the world but never volunteer for anything. Come SHTF I know that's where the trouble will come from.
I live on a small (compared to where I've lived in the past) housing estate, a mixture of Housing Association( we are HA tenants ourselves), private housing and "bought to let" properties, some of the HA tenants are like you say LL, but one of the households I've got my eye on are of the "Private house owners" and in employment so its not just those on benefit!
(30 March 2014, 12:36)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]some of the HA tenants are like you say LL, but one of the households I've got my eye on are of the "Private house owners" and in employment so its not just those on benefit!

You're right, and I'm generalizing badly. Those with money can be every bit as bad as those without, and I don't mean to stigmatize anyone by their being on benefits.

It's just odd, though. I work full time, but I still manage to volunteer and do my bit for the community in all kinds of ways. So do all the pensioners, who have free time but a lot less physical strength. It is literally ONLY these people in that particular road who are always far too busy to help out, and don't even have time to sort their rubbish properly on dustbin day. To me, those are people who are taking and giving nothing back. I used to go round there recruiting for Neighbourhood Watch, but you can only be told 'f*ck off, bitch' so many times before you stop bothering.

The way I see it - if the community is supporting me by paying my benefits, then I can keep my self-respect by supporting the community in return. But that's politics, and I'm straying OT. What matters here is who can be counted on when TSHTF, and I'm afraid that particular road most certainly can't.
"Yeah but no but yeah but Trisha is on TV and I have to take Tarquin, Mercedes and Chlamydia to see their dads after I've paid me fine and been down the social, anyway we should be given stuff ourselves cos our labour councillor sez we are entitled"
I deliver the parish magazine once a month, to about 55 houses, its my only attempt at community service plus it allows me to( legally) see what people are up to and whats lying about on their drive/front garden !Angel
Many thanks Lou ...sounds about right. Tip ...lou....DO NOT SELL YOUR GOLD. If you are able. buy more ....silver is also a good bet check out Mike Maloney on YT lou.
I think gold is a strange subject, I always say you cant eat gold, and its a bit heavy to bug out with, and what can you buy with it after TSHTF?will people except it as payment? I know I wouldn't. I think barter will be the way forward and for a long time to come. I'd rather put all my spare cash into preps and food. but that's just me. KISS.
Yes BP I used to hold your view on PM ....but I have changed my view .....don't worry about the weight BP .....couple of coins is not going to hurt! Just enough to hedge your bets is all ....but I am getting more as and when I can afford to.
each to their own SS, I've put my money into disposable lighters...lots of the things! everyone will need fire after TSHTF.Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4