Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What if the collapse is not too bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now, let's not get into a debate about "I think it's a total EOTWAWKI collapse that we'll see" or "The government won't do X" or something like that. Let's just stick to the question being asked.

This is a simple enough question.

What if the collapse becomes more like an extreme version of the 'great depression' or food shortages are bad, but 'only' as bad as current levels around Africa. What about if it's WW£ and it ends up being similar to WW2, but worse (not nuclear war, EOTWAWKI bad)

How would your preps play into that kind of situation?
(9 April 2014, 12:21)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Now, let's not get into a debate about "I think it's a total EOTWAWKI collapse that we'll see" or "The government won't do X" or something like that. Let's just stick to the question being asked.

This is a simple enough question.

What if the collapse becomes more like an extreme version of the 'great depression' or food shortages are bad, but 'only' as bad as current levels around Africa. What about if it's WW£ and it ends up being similar to WW2, but worse (not nuclear war, EOTWAWKI bad)

How would your preps play into that kind of situation?
In a drawn out collapse:
Keep the preps hidden away, unused. Everything you can get (food wise) goes to the children & wife. Man up and take it on the chin.

Grow your own food.
Grow your own chickens.

Turn to the black market for things you can't get. Sell the things you shouldn't have.
I can see this kind of event being quite likely...the world population exceed's the food production, first world nations use there economic might to buy up all the food at hugely inflated prices , mass starvation in poorer parts of the world , first world nations start to collapse as there fiscal smoke and mirrors policies get exposed , hyper inflation all over again like the Weimar republic , leading to starvation of the under classes here eventually.....tis my most favoured event in my catalogue of fears.

My Preps wouldn't go nearly as far as I'd like....have very little land to grow food on but you can bet you're bottom dollar all lawns would disappear pretty sharpish.
there were no lawns in WW2, all ground was dug up to grow food during the war, lots of people kept chickens in their back yards. there was a mile long Potato clamp here just over the top of town on the edge of the moor during WW2.
My granddad(the rat catching steelworker)used to breed rabbits for the pot....and my older sister never twigged that the pyramid of hutches was a breeding set up till john willy changed colour one fatefull night(sister named the big rabbit at the top of the pyramid that) was so successful he kept the street supplied during the war.
well you know what they say about rabbits and their breeding habits!Big Grin
He kept the front garden planted with spuds well into the 60's ...my Gran despaired and his usual retort in his broad Yorkshire accent was "tha can't eet flower's tha knows" .... god I wish he was still around teach me some stuff.
(9 April 2014, 15:29)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]My granddad(the rat catching steelworker)used to breed rabbits for the pot....and my older sister never twigged that the pyramid of hutches was a breeding set up till john willy changed colour one fatefull night(sister named the big rabbit at the top of the pyramid that) was so successful he kept the street supplied during the war.

Mmmmm, rabbit.

I wonder how many others here will be plundering Pets At Home (or other such pet stores) given half a chance? They all keep a fairly decent stock of wabbits and guinea hogs. Activated charcoal too, and plants for filtering water etc.

Thankfully I've got one not too far away from me
(9 April 2014, 15:39)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]He kept the front garden planted with spuds well into the 60's ...my Gran despaired and his usual retort in his broad Yorkshire accent was "tha can't eet flower's tha knows" .... god I wish he was still around teach me some stuff.

exactly, we could all(well most of us) learn from the older generation.
if it was something like ww3 my preps probably wouldnt be used, cause no doubt if it was that bad id probably be called up while you old farts enjoyed your retirement and dug your back gardens for potato's Wink
Pages: 1 2 3