Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Don't be mentally assumptive with posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone.

This is something I've thought about and it's pretty close to my way of thinking about life in general.

Can I just put it out there that we all be aware of making assumptions, in regards to what people post.

Tibbs wrote that he was taking some time to step back from prepping to better view his situation. As if by magic a whole storyline was created that he was leaving prepping and he thought it wasn't important. I'm honestly not sure where this came from. None of it was from Tibbs. He just wanted to be able to take a more objectified view of things, and figured a way to do it. He wasn't stopping prepping or anything like that.

Another assumption that is dangerous, Bushcraft/Wilderness Survival. I'm a big advocate of the 2 skills (they're really just 1 huge skill set) because it accounts for a worse case scenario situation and allows you to survive. But there is apparently the assumption that people believe bushcraft and survival skills is all there is to prepping. I've never heard of anyone make this assumption, but apparently it's there. Also there is the reverse, where people will discount survival skills entirely from prepping and survivalism....which is ludacris! But because someone is into their outdoors skills, it does not mean they cannot grow, plant, harvest, and the alike.

Another lovely assumption, if someone is a gun-guy, it does not mean they cannot shoot a bow with reasonable accuracy, and vice versa.

What about the assumption that someone looks towards their fitness a lot? It doesn't mean they will rely on running around and being fit. A fit and healthy person can be just as stealth, if not more stealthy than an over weight person, because they do not have the huge belly to drag around with them.

When we read a post, this applies to me as much as to anyone else on the forum, because we're all human (not sure about Danzord thought. He's as stubborn as an Ox and as strong as one too haha), so instead of jumping to conclusions and assuming everyone is a 1 trick pony...take a step back and work out what's really being said and the reality of the situation.

For example of how stupid assumptions can make a person out to be, I was shopping with a Chinese friend in Asda in Bedminster and he bumped into a Chinese guy he knew from uni. The Chinese uni friend started asking why he was hanging out with a 'white bastard', to which the 'white bastard' (namely me) in perfect Chinese, told him to "Shut up and [insert 4 letter expletive beginning with F] off." The sheer shock on the guy's face was brilliant! The apology was pretty good too haha.

So, before any of us make any assumptions of other people, it's probably a good idea to check out what they're really saying and where this person is coming from, before we jump to a wrong conclusion.
S13 I hear what you're saying and a agree in the main but if everyone was dead polite waited to be told everything in full and never had a pop or took the piss a bit it would be dead boring....some peoples main aim in life is to go round needling other people ,every forum has them mate , sometimes you're just a bit too earnest and nice for your own good....you need to develop a slightly thicker skin and don't rise to it
every ones opinion is as valid as the next mans.
(11 April 2014, 11:18)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]S13 I hear what you're saying and a agree in the main but if everyone was dead polite waited to be told everything in full and never had a pop or took the piss a bit it would be dead boring....some peoples main aim in life is to go round needling other people ,every forum has them mate , sometimes you're just a bit too earnest and nice for your own good....you need to develop a slightly thicker skin and don't rise to it

Very true. But I think of it as showing intelligence, more than manners.

If someone says "What's the time?" and they get responded with "Time is such a liner system, but I bet you're one of those hippies that sees time as circular, or even a non-existent human fabrication to depict a reason for motion and difference!" Then I just can't help but to think....grow up.

It's like if someone says "It's 11:25." Then some knobhead responds with "Well actually it's 11:27" or some crap like that.

Think of it as a request for using intelligence and answering the questions being asked.
(11 April 2014, 11:24)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]every ones opinion is as valid as the next mans.

You're wrong there BP.

If I'm sick I'll definitely value the opinion of an experienced doctor more than that of the guy who's emptying my dustbin.

I know that's another assumption, but balance of probability says that the bin man isn't an experienced medic looking for extra income.
(11 April 2014, 16:14)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(11 April 2014, 11:24)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]every ones opinion is as valid as the next mans.

You're wrong there BP.

If I'm sick I'll definitely value the opinion of an experienced doctor more than that of the guy who's emptying my dustbin.

I know that's another assumption, but balance of probability says that the bin man isn't an experienced medic looking for extra income.

Oh no. Turns out I've been molested by my bin man then. I did wonder why I had to drop trou and bend over when all I have is a cough and a few bits for recycling...