Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What are your main concerns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, we all look at prepping in different ways.

We all have certain views and opinions.

What 'elements' of life post SHTF are you most concerned about?

Is it security, food, water, shelter, disease, or what?

Granted, there is no way to prep without taking ALL into consideration. But which ones do you think will be your primary concern?

Also, if you think the concern will change over time, how do you see that happening? What's your timeline of the main 'elements' to account for? For example, first 2 weeks, water, 2-6 weeks security, 6-10 weeks food....etc.
my main concern post SHTF is OTHER PEOPLE, how they will (over) react and what they will do.
For me, food is the big unknown.

I feel that Security, Shelter, Water can all be managed without too much concern.

Disease is a total unknown, but not something I'm overly concerned about.

The problem with food is that whatever supplies you have they will not last indefinitely and also if you have been driven from your home, you could well loose all your supplies including food being grown in the garden/greenhouses etc. So no matter how well you prep, you could easily be left short.

Also depending on the event there could be a 'Significant' amount of competition out there foraging; hunting; stealing; collecting whatever processed, natural, wild foods etc that are available.
Ditto Devonian,

Food is the biggest concern in the long term. There are too many variables and unknowns to be able to adequately prep for the long term in this area.
we have been here before, food like the "roaming gangs" thread has been done (to death) MANY times in the last 3 years.
security will always be my biggest concern. If we're dead none of the other stuff matters. This will be true until the rule of law returns.
Not that I'm a big believer in Armageddon but.......

From the moment the balloon goes up, security would be my no.1 concern the first few weeks are going to be chaotic to say the least. Rush has hit it square on the head.

The threat of disease would probably be next, as after a few weeks without healthcare, bad hygeine practices and population proximity well, it's just an ideal set of circumstances to get a nasty bug brewing.

Food and water are next. Depending on the type of balloon(sorry) then it could be we are stuck indoors and unable to get out to forage, there could be some sort of contamination that would prevent harvesting any wild or home grown food.
security and food stores,

you can't live off of your food stores indefinitely!
food stores were never expected to be indefinite(12-18 months maximum).
Meds!

Some of us come with a time/date stamp on our arses.

Diabetics, Asthmatics, Arthritic, Dialysis or Cardiac patients are totally dependent on meds to function and remain alive.

No need for 10 years food if you only have 3 moths meds in stock, and most prescription meds are completely under the control of the medical system, not the prepper. Especially on this side of the pond.

I have been trying to accumulate a reserve supply of meds for the past ten years without success. Over prescribing of any medication is a criminal offense over here. Most of our pharmacies are computer linked to prevent double dipping.

And sorry folks, there ain't no tree bark or powdered roots that are going to keep me alive.

You either. Not if you have a serious condition.
Pages: 1 2