Survival UK Forums

Full Version: America's Prepareathon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I received an email the other day that had a link for "America's PrepareAthon". Thinking that maybe it was another online prepping seminar or suchlike, I clicked through and found myself at the FEMA website.

It seems that although the US media are always paying out on preppers, the government is actively trying to get people to prepare (although from a brief glance through the site, it is only for a small range of disasters).

The thing that really caught my eye is that over 5 million people have already signed up to participate. While this is only about 1.5% of their population, I wonder if that amount of people would have the foresight or interest to sign up for similar in the UK (ie. roughly 1 million people)?

http://www.community.fema.gov/connect.ti.../grouphome
I don't think so jace ,the UK although is the best country in the worldBig Grin prepping is not top of the list of things to do for most people here .I think most are to worried about facebook and twater
also we don't want to get ourselves on a government "prepper" list just in case it all goes pear shaped....think OPSEC!!Big Grin
No "in case" BP! It's planned to go pear shaped. Stay off the .gov links!
yes JP, wasn't there some announcement in America that if you had more than 7 days worth of food you were considered a hoarder or something??
yep that's the one.

actually its not, there was one about anyone who had more than 7 days FOOD was labelled a terrorist, but its an old one and I cant find it now.
Two weeks is the recommendation from Emergency the (US) FEMA web site:

Short-Term Food Supplies

Even though it is unlikely that an emergency would cut off your food supply for two weeks, you should prepare a supply that will last that long. A two-week supply can relieve a great deal of inconvenience and uncertainty until services are restored.

The easiest way to develop a two-week stockpile is to increase the amount of basic foods you normally keep on your shelves. Remember to compensate for the amount you eat from other sources (such as restaurants) during an average two-week period.

You may already have a two-week supply of food on hand. Keeping it fresh is simple. Just rotate your supply once or twice a year.

Special Considerations to Keep in Mind

As you stock food, take into account your family's unique needs and tastes. Try to include foods that they will enjoy and that are also high in calories and nutrition. Foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking are best.

Individuals with special diets and allergies will need particular attention, as will babies, toddlers and the elderly. Nursing mothers may need liquid formula, in case they are unable to nurse. Canned dietetic foods, juices and soups may be helpful for the ill or elderly.

Make sure you have a can opener and disposable utensils. And don't forget nonperishable foods for your pets.

How to Store Your Short-Term Stockpile

Keep canned foods in a dry place where the temperature is fairly cool--not above 70 degrees Fahrenheit and not below freezing. To protect boxed foods from pests and extend their shelf life, store the boxes in tightly closed cans or metal containers.

Rotate your food supply. Use foods before they go bad, and replace them with fresh supplies, dated with ink or marker. Place new items at the back of the storage area and older ones in front.

Your emergency food supply should be of the highest quality possible. Inspect your reserves periodically to make sure there are no broken seals or dented containers.