Survival UK Forums

Full Version: moving on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
TH has decided to leave the burbs and move back to the sticks, checking out a property in a small village, half a mile from my shoots and stables. The garden is what I'm interested in, with the possibility of renting a Paddock as well.
Sounds nice mate.

South facing rear garden? Sloped roof waiting for solar panels?
best luck with that TH, best move I ever made was leaving the city suburbs and moving to a small town.
Don't know which way it faces yet Scythe, but he told me it was 150ft long. If it's ok I'll be getting some poly tunnels put up sharpish, and creating Vegetable beds. If I can get in within the next few weeks I'll plant a lot of Spuds, they're great for clearing land, and there's nowt you can't do with a tattie. Nearest shops are three miles away, but the village has a cracking little pub, and a local Dairy that delivers Milk Bread eggs etc. I'll have to make sure we have enough supplies put by as the place is isolated and you can't just "nip out" to the shops.
The Paddock looks to be around 5acres, but it has someones Horses on it. If I could secure that I would be very happy. It hasn't been ploughed since Medieval times, because the "Ridge and Furrow" marks are still there under the turf, it's also never had chemicals on it, just hundreds of years of livestock shit. If turned over to crops it would produce good yields, if I rotate and manure the land yearly. But then I consider what good pasture can produce in the form of meat, and I'm undecided. Or I could turn it into an archery rangeBig Grin
Good luck TH ....sounds real good! We wish you well .
TH, that sounds awesome. I was thinking an archery range would be your first option for converting haha. We only have 100ft of garden, so I am jealous.

Get out with your compass and check where it's facing. If it's north facing, you may only have a small area that'll be good for planting.
Good luck with acquiring that place TH.

We hope it goes to plan for you, and look forward to welcoming you to the unofficial homesteaders club :-)
Caveat emptor "let the buyer beware", as the Romans used to say, and very relevant to the above property, "you can't polish a Turd" also comes to mind. The garden has been used for the last 15years as a football pitch, and at the present time looks like the Somme. The fences are in a state of collapse. There are no carpets in the house and the kitchen looks like the Mongol hordes have camped in it for a year. None of the doors fit properly, and the whole property is run down internally. The funniest part was that the owner expects me to fix all the problems out of my own pocket, whilst paying for him to travel the world with the rent money, then when he comes back "after five years or so" he wants possession of the property. If the boiler etc breaks down "that would be your problem"!! them man has obviously been drinking Sheep dip as his brain is addled. What a numpty.
plenty of landlords like that around, I'm thinking of one exactly like that owns property in North Devon!!!Big Grin
He wanted £550 a month hahahaha, dream onBig Grin
Pages: 1 2