Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Possible ultimate bug out bicycle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is designed for environments we don't get in the UK that often. A normal bike is fine for us although if you had the cash it would be an idea for rare use. I would guess we just need to visit our own wheels and tyres to resolve it.
(4 January 2012, 13:19)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]It is designed for environments we don't get in the UK that often. A normal bike is fine for us although if you had the cash it would be an idea for rare use. I would guess we just need to visit our own wheels and tyres to resolve it.

So you have never visited Weardale in winter then ! Smile, gotta have a bike to avoid the geordie polar bears.
might be better off with a decent electric bike.
(4 January 2012, 13:11)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16345232

Hi, folks. I am new to this site and I love it. I believe that the humble bicycle is a great tool for survival. It's fuel free and easy to maintain and can carry more than one may realize. As I find my way around the site I will post more.
Joe.
Bicycles will be a huge rebuilder of any post SHTF situation.

Petrol and the alike has a very short life-span. Fossil fuels will last only so long. If everything gets used up before the systems are redone, there will be a huge use to pedal power. Especially with electricity generation! haha.
sorry folks, i'm going to stick with the Donkeys, at least if things go downhill we can eat them!
(17 January 2012, 12:49)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]sorry folks, i'm going to stick with the Donkeys, at least if things go downhill we can eat them!

What is it with you lot in the south west and your unnatural interests in Sheep and now Donkeys, its gives a whole new means when you say I'm just protecting my ass ? Smile
How low can you stoop is the question being asked, and looking at the posts this morning i think in SDs case its as low as a badgers bum Smile
I just think, coming from a farming-mainly stock rearing-area, with a wife who was brought up in the country and worked on farms, that once the power goes down and the petrol(and diesel) pumps dont work anymore, that a donkey (or mule) cart would be the obvious and low tech answer, there are plenty of horses down here, it IS "pony paddock" country, but horses to my mind are too highly strung and flighty so i would go for something more manageable.
(17 January 2012, 12:58)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]I just think, coming from a farming-mainly stock rearing-area, with a wife who was brought up in the country and worked on farms, that once the power goes down and the petrol(and diesel) pumps dont work anymore, that a donkey (or mule) cart would be the obvious and low tech answer, there are plenty of horses down here, it IS "pony paddock" country, but horses to my mind are too highly strung and flighty so i would go for something more manageable.

For plowing the field and crop stuff, even for (as you rightly pointed out) carrying things on a cart, I totally agree, a horse or donkey would be the right option. But for small groups of people moving around quickly, I'd go with a bike.
Pages: 1 2