Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cheeky little sods.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This morning I went to collect some tinder from a local spot with a good supply of Burdock heads and dead Tree Fungus, it also has a small pond. When I got there I came across three young lads trying to make a fire, and failing miserably. They had that Sheepish "we're Busted" look and I'm sure expected "the old fart" to tell them to bugger off. Not me!! I believe young lads should should be coming home with cuts, scrapes and bruises, covered in mud or shit, making fires and Dens rather than stuck inside a house turning into a vegetable on a diet off mind numbing TV/PC garbage.
After showing them how to use Burdock heads for tinder, and small twigs as kindling, I lit their fire with a Firesteel. The look on their faces as a shower of sparks hit the tinder, setting it alight was priceless. "Giz a go Mr" the boldest one asked, and after a short demonstration became entranced as sheets of red hot sparks fell from the Steel in his hand. Of course a fight nearly broke out, "You've had a go it's my turn", "no it's not I was before you", a common retort the World over. After asking them to be careful, and not to burn the place down, I was walking away when the boldest one shouted "are you a Gypsy?" Cheeky little SodBig Grin So I went straight home and shaved my beard offConfused Made my day that did.
There you go, TH, you've made an impression! Good on you!
Well, it could have been worse... they could have asked if you were Bear Grylls' brother!

Can't beat a bit of showing small people how to do something.
shaved your beard off??? no cheeky little scroats will even make me shave my off..I've had it for 30 years.....Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Great.
We must when given the chance encourage and motivate the young.
Just think they might save and buy a fire steel and it may just save their live at some time in their future, who's to tell.
Then they remember that old 'gypsy' bloke and quietly thank you.

But this is what we have to do, encourage and motivate when we get the chance
Well done TH
That's awesome mate. It's always good to be able to encourage others and get them on the right path.

You should have gotten them to help you load up a trailer or something haha