Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Pup Prepping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I am half lying with this thread. It's not just about puppies.

We got a load of cat food and some dog food today to put into storage. Granted there are other animals to feed and other ways to feed them.

What things are you doing to help feed your pets?

With some of the outdoor animals, we're looking at a little silage area to get them a nice chunk for winter feed. Storing stuff for the cats and dogs, as well as growing and storing veg. Stuff like a shooting session helps too.

Any other ideas?
In a SHTF situation anything that comes into range is potential dog food, they could be eating foxes, birds, livestock or even other dogs.
Mine would get some of whatever we are having plus whatever he could scavenge. I would make sure he got a "fair ration" though. Keeping a dog post-SHTF has many advantages, including security, companionship, deterrence and assistance with hunting. Heck, my son's Malamut could even be a source of motive power. Apparently a full-grown male can pull three tonnes! I'm thinking of experimenting with dog-logging in the woodland.
(15 June 2014, 13:32)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]Mine would get some of whatever we are having plus whatever he could scavenge. I would make sure he got a "fair ration" though. Keeping a dog post-SHTF has many advantages, including security, companionship, deterrence and assistance with hunting. Heck, my son's Malamut could even be a source of motive power. Apparently a full-grown male can pull three tonnes! I'm thinking of experimenting with dog-logging in the woodland.

3 tonnes? Not for very far I would imagine!!

My truck would struggle to tow that weight...

I try to keep a stock of dog food, but at almost £50 for 12kgs it's an expensive hobby. Being hypoallergenic and all that jazz I could eat it myself. Doesn't taste like salmon and sweet potato mind you...
what are you feeding him? best steak? we pay £11.99 for 6KG of dog food-lasts our terrier bitch about 6 weeks. we've got about 3 and a bit sacks in stock so nearly 6 months worth.
Winston has special food because he had skin problems (common in rottys), it has no crap in it at all. Cleared his flaky bits up no end, and he's packing on lots of muscle. 12kg lasts about 2 / 3 weeks if we're lucky - but he weighs 8 or 9 stone now, so not surprising he gets through the munch quickly. I did find a cheaper source, where it was just over £40 a bag, but then you get stung for delivery so easier just to go to the warehouse and pick it up.
(17 June 2014, 14:40)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I try to keep a stock of dog food, but at almost £50 for 12kgs it's an expensive hobby. Being hypoallergenic and all that jazz I could eat it myself. Doesn't taste like salmon and sweet potato mind you...

Same problem mate. Whippets have weak stomachs. The rabbits they've been eating recently have been okay with them. I agree with Steve, if it's in range, it's food for them. Problem is our whippets have ZERO prey drive, unless it's your biscuits mate haha.
I've never known a good working dog that play's the role of pet well.....they may be out there but I've yet to meet one.
(17 June 2014, 17:07)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]I've never known a good working dog that play's the role of pet well.....they may be out there but I've yet to meet one.

Whippets just sleep all day. They're pretty good at being pets.
(17 June 2014, 15:46)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(17 June 2014, 14:40)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I try to keep a stock of dog food, but at almost £50 for 12kgs it's an expensive hobby. Being hypoallergenic and all that jazz I could eat it myself. Doesn't taste like salmon and sweet potato mind you...

Same problem mate. Whippets have weak stomachs. The rabbits they've been eating recently have been okay with them. I agree with Steve, if it's in range, it's food for them. Problem is our whippets have ZERO prey drive, unless it's your biscuits mate haha.

Winston isn't too bothered about things smaller than him (unless it's a little yappy dog) but anything bigger (horse, cow) he wants to kill, which could come in handy. They're bred for herding cattle. A working dog he isn't, but he's definitely got a very aggressive side that's bubbling below the surface