Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bugout Dilemma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Perry have a look at this: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map
Do you have a BOL? Would it be possible to bug out to there, instead of to your brother, and have them meet you there?

Are there other preppers in the area you're doing your apprenticeship in? Could you team up with them or could help you?

Are there people on your course that are from the area you're from?

Would you be able to get out ahead of time, even a day ahead can give you a great head start, or if you're in a car it'll get you home.

How are the backroad routes? Would you be able to drive part way down them, then transfer to foot or bike?

Is there a safer area you can get to early on, where you can cache equipment and other goods, to allow the 90day waiting period to be more comfortable?
My BOL currently is my home in Norfolk, and its the same for my brother until eventually get get some place different (but that's a different story), I currently don't know of any preppers doing the apprenticeship that I am doing (because i haven't started yet).

I am hoping to avoid this whole situation by watching the news and being informed and "Getting out of dodge" whilst the lights are still on.

The roughs are fairly safe at first because I can go through a huge Yorkshire reserve but the problems start to happen when I hit the humber bridge because its a choke point and surrounding that area there are several city's and main roads.

From reading all of this fantastic advice, I think that I should pre-prepare cashes on a carefully selected rough, have 90 days worth of food in a safer area and either get my hands on a kayak or a decent pedal bike, and have a decent bug out bag.
My solution was to plan out several routes home. Keep them in a BOB and then watch the news very carefully. Fuel up as soon as you arrive at the remote location and keep everything you need for the trip home close at hand. Get ready for a very quick start and don't worry about it too much.

Very few events will give no notice and most of them will give you enough time to get home.

You need to work to pay for all this.
Perry, if you head upstream about 15km from the Humber bridge, the river narrows significantly as you start to rise out of the tidal/estuary zones, this may make crossing the river a lot easier.

If you head a bit further upstream, you will see using the following web link, that there is a Rail Bridge over the River Ouse heading into Goole, that could be an alternative option for you, also giving you the option of then continuing along the rail lines, or as you can also see on the following web page, this is also the starting point of the canal network, which again gives another option.....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hull...30ff?hl=en
I do a lot of long distance vehicle camping and face this possibility 4-6 times each year. My problem would be that I would not be in touch with civilization until the party was going strong and would not have the option of waiting 90 days to start home.

I have considered the prospect of traveling 900-1000 miles to get back home several times over the years.

I do what Devonian has recommended, I carry maps of the rail lines and often trace the rail routes on my standard road maps. If I am forced to abandon the vehicle I will cut across country to the rail lines.

I have always expected the rail pathways to be less densely used, the bridges to be unguarded and roadblocks to not exist.

It will also be easier walking/biking since the grade never exceeds 2%. That is a major factor for my old bones and bad back.

I am fortunate that I have one major rail path that passes 3 miles from my home and runs 1000 miles north and 1000 miles south and parallels one of our major interstate highways.

The real problem you are facing might be making this trip to discover there was nothing left at your trails' end. 90-120 days is a long time if real chaos is in progress.
I doubt that I would wait 90 days before starting out. My inclination would be to be "on the road" as soon as things started to fall apart. After 90 days, the baddies are running out of easy victims and you'd have a large red target on your back from the moment you left your hopefully secure starting location.

In this case, the simpler the plan the better. I like Mort's idea of a bike, or even a small off-road motorbike with gooped tires, a full tank of gas, and a bug-out-saddlebag, all ready to go. Add defensive weapons as available.
(7 July 2014, 18:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I see no one bothers doing recce's or research any more,
http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/can-...ver-humber

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4173118.stm

Hello Stranger Wink

I did see that on Wiki, along with the woman that swam it, but given it states the guy who waded across was 6' 9" or something and had probably done extensive research on the best route across, I thought I'd leave that one out Big Grin
Fording the Humber is obviously possible but highly improbable...an improvised river crossing is one of the most dangerous things you can attempt in an escape and evasion scenario especially bearing in mind the river you're contemplating crossing...tis a big murky fast running muddy tidal river.......I'd stick with the railway bridge or go much further upstream.
Pages: 1 2 3