Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Is it possible we are all just kidding ourselves?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm not trying to be defeatist or deliberately depressing, but has anyone here thought about their chances of actually making it through a period of significant upheaval? I mean a realistic percentage probability.

This is assuming you have everything squared away; resources, skills, will to survive, strong community etc. How do the circumstances in the UK affect your likelihood of survival? My main issue is population density and and laws regarding firearms, both of which make it quite hard to either hide or fend off intruders.

Don't get me wrong, some will always survive. Even in a place like Tokyo, I think some would still be alive after everything has settled down. The question is, how much does prepping actually improve your chances of survival, above the random luck of the draw as to who will stumble through SHTf and make it out the other side.

I'm currently trying to break through several barriers in my prepping efforts, and this question is one of them.
the way i see it , we just dont know what is going to happen [ if anything] you cant prep for everything so i tend to go for a learn as much as i can , i use 3 sites for this.
i store some food and general preps but with this your blind as you dont know whats comming.
i like to keep an eye on the news and have become much more intrested in growing my own .
As Sunna said you just don't know what's going to happen and no matter how much you prep Murphy's law can always throw a spanner in the works and really spoil your day.
For me my prepping is more about life style than having kit and food stored away, I do have some stuff stockpiled, but I aim to develop a self reliant sustainable life style, to gain as much as I can in knowledge and skills to allow me to be as adaptable and flexible as possible to any situation. At present I grow, forage or hunt for a large part of our food needs, I have the means to purifying water and providing some heat and light, but I know with some confidence that if the situation arises that I have to walk away from all I own with absolutely nothing, I can with the knowledge and skills that I have, stand some chance of providing for my family, and thus the possibility of survival, with out that knowledge and skills there's next to no chance.
i can survive and I will survive,and I am doing as much as I can to make this a reality, this is why we prep isn't it? and I know I've got a better chance than any sheeple who dosent even know that something might happen and is living in their own cuckoo land!
i think BP hit the nail on the head ,when we prep and learn we stand a better chance .but its much better than just sitting there .
It's well known I'm not an Armageddon type person, however, putting that aside for a moment It's not just what you have, but what you know. Your stores and equipment will eventually run out or break. You need to have the knowledge to replace those stores and repair or make your equipment. As T-oddity has said moving toward a sustainable and self reliant lifestyle is part of that.
prepping is not just about stores, its about skills and knowledge, I've said for years that we cannot store enough to last the rest of our lives, at some point it will all run out, its about knowing what to do when it does.
I would say, keeping prepping, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

After all, the chances of total societal collapse are significantly more remote than many of the other things that could happen for which your prepping would also be a godsend.

None of knows what will happen in the future and even the best prepared could be killed or seriously injured in a car crash at the start of an event, whilst your unprepared neighbour may just go and stay on his brother-in-laws farm and survive happily - the point is we just don't know and we have to do the best we can without being paranoid about it at the same time, as it may also never happen!
once an event happens...any event, societal collapse will happen very quickly, given the attitude of the population these days its not a possibility its a certified inevitability!!!Big Grin
You also have to think, if you dont believe in yourself, you wont achieve anything, be it building something or staying alive, if you go around saying, if tshtf then we are all going to die, then you most certainly will, a positive attitude is key here!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4