Survival UK Forums

Full Version: More comments on SMALL 4x4s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I like 4x4s, we have a 1.8 pinin, small but bloody useful, I'm even considering getting a Jimny when the transit dies of old age.

In my other article I highlighted some interesting points about small 4x4s and how for SOME of us they may be of more use than big blooming full sized 4x4s.

Anyway what I have noticed of late is an increase in local farmers getting Jimnys, Terios, and even stuff like John Deere Gators and Kawasaki Mules in this area that provide them with good load carrying off road capability but in a small sized package that can get into smaller tighter spots than big Landy type vehicles.

Then oddly enough I read about a bunch of European venture travellers who decided to go from Paris to OZ in Fiat Panda 4x4s in a little convoy. Yes of course they had problems, breakdowns, punctures getting stuck etc but the one constant point they kept making was how their bigger 4x4 support vehicles including Iveco 4x4 vans, and other big 4x4s kept getting stuck far more often than the little Pandas did.

That ticked a box for later recall in my ageing mind until this morning when I'm watching footage of this years fabulous Dakar rally (Argentina- Peru-Chile) and bugger me there is Toyota Land cruisers, HI Aces, Mitsubishi shoguns, pinins, VW halfcabs, loads of other privateers in stuff like modded Landies, and even massive hugely powerful HUMMERS !!.

Give ya one guess which single type of vehicle was OVERALL (not getting it all their own way) beating the snot out of the rest.

MINI'S , Yup tarted up, Yup expensive custom jobs no doubt, but very much being NEARLY all MINIs in the top ten. Small, compact, nimble MINI 4x4s expedition vehicles from the Mini all4 Racing team.

You should see these little cars being dwarfed by the huge hummers, but normally beating them.

Then I thought about TOP GEARS Trans Andes special where Captain sensible managed to coax a old Suzuki Rhino through the Amazon, over the Andes, through the Atacama desert and down to the pacific sticking with a Rangy and Toyota CJ4 all the way.

We really do need to take a long 2nd look at modern small 4x4s as BOVs especially as in the UK money is a tight as some of the spaces we want to drive through.
NR
(6 January 2012, 12:32)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I like 4x4s, we have a 1.8 pinin, small but bloody useful, I'm even considering getting a Jimny when the transit dies of old age.

In my other article I highlighted some interesting points about small 4x4s and how for SOME of us they may be of more use than big blooming full sized 4x4s.

Anyway what I have noticed of late is an increase in local farmers getting Jimnys, Terios, and even stuff like John Deere Gators and Kawasaki Mules in this area that provide them with good load carrying off road capability but in a small sized package that can get into smaller tighter spots than big Landy type vehicles.

Then oddly enough I read about a bunch of European venture travellers who decided to go from Paris to OZ in Fiat Panda 4x4s in a little convoy. Yes of course they had problems, breakdowns, punctures getting stuck etc but the one constant point they kept making was how their bigger 4x4 support vehicles including Iveco 4x4 vans, and other big 4x4s kept getting stuck far more often than the little Pandas did.

That ticked a box for later recall in my ageing mind until this morning when I'm watching footage of this years fabulous Dakar rally (Argentina- Peru-Chile) and bugger me there is Toyota Land cruisers, HI Aces, Mitsubishi shoguns, pinins, VW halfcabs, loads of other privateers in stuff like modded Landies, and even massive hugely powerful HUMMERS !!.

Give ya one guess which single type of vehicle was OVERALL (not getting it all their own way) beating the snot out of the rest.

MINI'S , Yup tarted up, Yup expensive custom jobs no doubt, but very much being NEARLY all MINIs in the top ten. Small, compact, nimble MINI 4x4s expedition vehicles from the Mini all4 Racing team.

You should see these little cars being dwarfed by the huge hummers, but normally beating them.

Then I thought about TOP GEARS Trans Andes special where Captain sensible managed to coax a old Suzuki Rhino through the Amazon, over the Andes, through the Atacama desert and down to the pacific sticking with a Rangy and Toyota CJ4 all the way.

We really do need to take a long 2nd look at modern small 4x4s as BOVs especially as in the UK money is a tight as some of the spaces we want to drive through.
NR

I wanted another LR 90 after my last one broke - but they're too expensive - so I opted for a cheap an cheerful Honda HRV. 1.6ltr petrol, permanent 4 wheel drive. It's not quick, it's not got hi/lo range, but with a bit of work I think I could get it lifted (possibly) and an a-bar an some spots. Might look daft, but it's a damn site cheaper to run than a big 4x4!
I'm kinda getting to like it now to be honest - if only it wasn't bright red it'd be great!
I've got a renault rx4 at the mo, minus 4 wheel drive propshaft as they're flakey and thin and the previous owner snapped it....So In the spring I'll visit the scrappers get a couple of universal joints and decent bearings and make my own rugged one up...I am mig equipped so alls good there...Big Grin
I like the suzuki jimneys and I used to drive a standard panda years ago, there a quirky car, you either love them or hate them.
The renaults ok. it just needs beefing up its a bit on the flimsy side for my liking, mind you its got twin sun roofs, which would make excellent gun platformsTongue
Excellent ground clearence on the rx4, I'm going to put a huge roof rack on it in the spring, I was thinking of one along the lines of a slide off one I could then mount chunky motorbike wheels on either side so Me and the boys could drag kit on it like a go cart, if the vehicle breaks down, that way I dont have to abandon my extra kit.Tongue
i'll be keeping my Citreon Berlingo 1400 for the forseeable future, you should see some of the place that will go, but for extra transport or as a back up(when funds allow) i am torn between either a Suzuki Jimny-for its 4x4 -but not a lot of room in the back, or a Suzuki Carryvan 1300cc no 4x4 but has a lot of room for stuff, also its small enough to get down the deep, deep Devon lanes( and boy, do i know some deep deep lanesTongue)
You see thousands of Berlingos and their Peugeot versions being used in North Africa by the locals, and someone makes a 4x4 Suzuki Carry van cos I've got a picture of the pickup version.
(6 January 2012, 15:17)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]You see thousands of Berlingos and their Peugeot versions being used in North Africa by the locals, and someone makes a 4x4 Suzuki Carry van cos I've got a picture of the pickup version.

i've tried to find details of Suzuki Carryvans 4x4 NR, i dont think their available for the UK market-typical!
I've had a couple of Panda 4x4s over the years. They are good to an extent, the 4x4 is either engaged or not via a lever behind the gearstick. You really need mud and snow tyres as well. The biggest problem with those is rust. They rot for fun. If you have a Panda you have a welder. The two go hand in hand. Also, the 999cc FIRE engine is puny. If you do get stuck it doesn't have the balls to pull you out of trouble. A solid Panda 4x4 is hard to find now for less than £1000.

A more modern small Suzuki would be much more reliable, less prone to rot and easier to source parts for.
(6 January 2012, 15:44)sc1 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a couple of Panda 4x4s over the years. They are good to an extent, the 4x4 is either engaged or not via a lever behind the gearstick. You really need mud and snow tyres as well. The biggest problem with those is rust. They rot for fun. If you have a Panda you have a welder. The two go hand in hand. Also, the 999cc FIRE engine is puny. If you do get stuck it doesn't have the balls to pull you out of trouble. A solid Panda 4x4 is hard to find now for less than £1000.

A more modern small Suzuki would be much more reliable, less prone to rot and easier to source parts for.

Do you know anything about those sexy looking new Pandas by any chance?
(6 January 2012, 15:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(6 January 2012, 15:44)sc1 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a couple of Panda 4x4s over the years. They are good to an extent, the 4x4 is either engaged or not via a lever behind the gearstick. You really need mud and snow tyres as well. The biggest problem with those is rust. They rot for fun. If you have a Panda you have a welder. The two go hand in hand. Also, the 999cc FIRE engine is puny. If you do get stuck it doesn't have the balls to pull you out of trouble. A solid Panda 4x4 is hard to find now for less than £1000.

Do you know anything about those sexy looking new Pandas by any chance?

The 4x4s? A friend of mine had one from new. Again, underpowered, but surprisingly agile. A car based 4x4 will never be as capable as a vehicle designed as a 4x4 from the outset but the newer Panda is pretty good. The 1.3 diesel would be better than my friend 1.2 petrol. It was pretty bouncy on rough terrain. The big downside is the auto 4x4, there is no transfer box or adjustment in it. I'd still rather a small Suzuki.

we had an old Bedford Rascal when we moved to Glastonbury, it was old and it was knackered but i still liked it, it would go anywhere and everywhere, it leaked petrol if you parked facing downhill and towards the end i was jumping out every mile with a hammer to thump the petrol pump which was packing up, didnt half give the following motorists a scare, this 6ft bearded, long haired bugger jumping out with a hammer in his hand, but i still enjoyed driving itTongue
Pages: 1 2