Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Where can I get a thumbstud?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone please advise me where I can buy a two piece screw together thumb stud for opening folding pocket knives with?

I've seen a mod for the Liong Mah UK legal folder where the owner has slightly reprofiled the scales and fitted a thumb stud to assist opening with, I would like to try the same blade mod and fit a thumb stud to mine.
Not sure if you can buy one, but I'll happily make you one from 316 Stainless if you can't find one elsewhere.
Thanks chaps.
US Knifemaker Supply also has a good selection of ferro rods of all sizes.

The small 1/8" ones I find very nice for small kits or add ons. I keep one in the med canister I carry on my key chain along with a cotton ball, another in my wallet and others scattered through the gear.

Having a good supply of them also insures that I include one any time I make a new knife sheath.
OK guys with Ref to the Liong Mah number 5 UK legal folder, I wanted to do a thumb stud like this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MolnO-3j...vM&index=4

But saw another video (below) from the same chap showing an easier fix to the problem of difficult one handed operation
( many knives now have to meet DANISH legal carry laws which does not permit SINGLE HANDED OPENING)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQJn2Lhdo...vM&index=2

And this is what I chose to do instead.
After you posted last night, I actually saw that set of videos from YOYOBoy and of all the Mods he did, I thought that one looked the most sensible as the shape of the handle does impinge on the finger recess and that mod certainly removes the obstructions.
I believe the extra bit of scale partially covering the thumb groove is there to make the knife legal in Denmark.

I'm loath to admit it but I think this CRKT Liong Mah number 5 is a better knife by quite a margin than my CS Voyager Tanto and far superior to my Byrd Tern. I am indebted to you Dev