Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Whisker Bisquits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone got em fitted to their bows, if so what do you think of them.
Just another "invention" to make you believe that you need one mate! they are nothing but a variety of Arrow rest. But if you feel you need one try one! This is one of the problems with the Compound bow Scene, the endless amount of crap they bring out to make you a better Archer, when the only way to make yourself a better Archer is to practise.
don't need one for longbows!!
IndeedBig Grin
Got one and I'm delighted with it, when fitted I can nock and arrow and wander about without the arrow falling off the rest as its encompassed and held in place. when I see a target I only have to draw, aim and release as the arrow is held in the right position until needed.

I'm also keeping the bow basic with most of the bells and whistles associated with compound shooting, no need for stabilisers, spirit levels, trigger units, fall away rests, wrist straps etc. just a basic bow with basic sight and the whisker biscuit that allows me to leave an arrow ready nocked and in position.

And of course being so damn compact it can be fired from many types of vehicle or even a seated position or even indoors if used in the pdw role, you cannot do that with recurves or long bows, but prolly can with those very short mongol or Hungarian bows .
Then in your case mate they work fine, and I can see where you are coming from in regard to keeping the shaft from moving. Many years ago I competed at a NFAS shoot at a farm near Whitby on the North York Moors and it was blowing an absolute Gale and most of the compound shooters had to retire due to them being unable to shoot in the very windy conditions their arrows were being blown off their rests!! maybe a Whisker biscuit could have helped?
I guess we all use what works for us personally.
Its an improvement over the even more basic Barnett Banshee Quads but its job is supplementary / home security duty to the recurves.

So its the air rifle for bunnies and birdies
Compounds for PDW
Recurves for hunting and looking cool Smile
at the end of the day the reason I went on the bow making course was that when all my air pellets are used up, my crossbows are broken I can still use and make a wooden bow and wooden arrows from materials in the natural environment all around me in a post SHTF world.
These conditions don't affect traditional archers BP, because we can just cant the Bow to alleviate the effect of wind. Compound archers cant do this because their bows are designed to be shot vertically, just like Olympic Archers (although these use Recurves) and so can see where such a device as mentioned above can help with this problem.
Just for the record I don't reject the Compound Bow out of hand because they are a mechanical device for shooting Arrows, not at all. Compound Bows will produce arrow speeds far in excess of my Traditional bows. They allow you to pull a far heavier bow than you could normally (due to effect of Cams acting as levers). They can be extremely accurate as you can fit an enormous range of sights and stabilisers, although accuracy is dependent on the archer, and finally they are made from tougher materials than traditional bows. I just prefer the simplicity and feel of a traditional Bow. If you like Compounds then go for it and try to be the best you can with your chosen gear, plus targets don't care what they are shot withBig Grin
Pages: 1 2