Survival UK Forums

Full Version: sell by dates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
some foods that you can eat even after their sell by date

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/a...ealed.html
I have a nose and eyes....I regularly eat stuff out of date because I hate waste and was brought up that way....my significant others are terrified by out of date stuff!
that's the way I see it me , just open and look n smell , did enough supermarket skip raiding in my youth , st johns co-op was one of my regular spots.
never had sell by dates when I was a kid and I seem to have survived so far!!!!Big Grin
They left out one of the most famous, but they might be geographically tilted.

[Image: DSCF1309_zpsjgnisydp.jpg]

There are the treats made famous by Woody Harelson in the movie Zombieland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeS6DvyLScE
I regularly eat past best before date (except eggs) & past it's sell by date. I never eat past the use by date.

I once opened an out of date egg & the smell has put me off ever doing it again.
The only foods I have had a direct experience with failing when past date was a can of cheap soup. It was one of the "store brands" that is supposed to be the same as major brand but really is not. It was a year past its date and had been on the shelf of my pantry for two years.

The can was fine, no rust or swelling, but on opening I discovered the plastic liner of the can itself had come lose from the metal and shreds of plastic can liner were floating in the contents.

This was a can of chicken noodle soup, so no excessive acid was present in the contents. The can simply failed with age.

Were I starving I would probably have eaten it anyway, picking out the plastic as I chewed, but that not being the case I decided I could afford to throw away a half dollar can of soup for safety sake.

Other than that I have a simple rule that if something is green, brown, yellow or red and is not supposed to be, has maggots or stinks I pass it up.

Come to think of it I just described my second wife's normal table fare!

But I survived that too!
Aye, nowt wrong with out of date stuff. We use 'Approved Foods' where most, if not all, of the bargains on there are out of date when you buy them. I take the oldest stuff with me when camping, risky move I know, but I've been fine so far...
(4 March 2015, 19:54)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I once opened an out of date egg & the smell has put me off ever doing it again.
tut tut, you obviously didn't do the test on the egg in a pan of water first did you!!!
What's the egg in a pan of water test?
Pages: 1 2 3