Survival UK Forums

Full Version: falklands war part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
argentina takes the uk to court over the falklands islands

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...lling.html

after gas and oil found off the islands.....

will we give it back....

will argentina invade again.....

with our defence cuts could we win falklands war 2.
will we give it away ... bloody well hope not , could they take it....no chance not without external aid

type 45 destroyer permanently on station , flight of typhoons based at MPA royal artillery starstreaks for aa defence and battalion + support arms not to mention submarine assets that may or may not be lurking.....be a bit tougher than rolling over a naval party of Royal Marines like last time.
I think we should spend more money on the armed forces ,as for the falklands don't think they will try it again thats why they are going to court
Just reading the disposition of troops in permanent station and in port in the Falklands it appears that there are more troops there than population or sheep.

Also most of the population is part of the militia.

I would feel safer there than in the homeland.
the uk has built up its defences on the islands over the last few years , when we find a way to drill for oil and gas in the antartic the falklands would be an important western stronghold.
(6 April 2015, 21:15)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]Just reading the disposition of troops in permanent station and in port in the Falklands it appears that there are more troops there than population or sheep.

Also most of the population is part of the militia.

I would feel safer there than in the homeland.

Back to the first Falklands war, the UK government was unpopular and needed a war to boost patriotism, the Argentinian government was in a similar situation, it suited both parties to have a war. A few hundred soldiers lives were considered a small price to pay for election victory.

I never forgave Thatcher for that, but most people did.

Now, we're in a similar position, and there's oil too. I think there will be a conflict.
I can't see the Argies trying anything militarily, their country really is in dire straights at the moment and even if the Kercher (or whatever she is called) want's to try something to improve her own ratings, then I can't see her general's going along with it as their own military has been decimated far more than our own.

And even though our military spending has reduced, we still have some serious firepower and assets that can be deployed against any invading forces, both on and off the island's.

However............. if the Chinese or Russians were to get more involved in the Argentinian economy, and start pumping in money (as they are already looking to do) and military assets, then that could be a game changer.

The Chinese in particular will be interested in the oil and the Russians will be interested in limiting access to it to increase the value of their own exports....
Steve

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but to say that Margaret Thatcher only had the war because she needed to win the election is perverse to say the least. Usual left-wing views.

Somehow we will find a way to blame Tony Blair for the falklands as well!
Argentina is in a mess domestically, anything to do with the Falklands takes the Argentine populations mind off the ball. as for Tony Blair that war criminal should be locked up in the Hague along with Bush not pontificating about Millipede's chances or not of winning the election.
(7 April 2015, 09:26)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]Steve

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but to say that Margaret Thatcher only had the war because she needed to win the election is perverse to say the least. Usual left-wing views.

Somehow we will find a way to blame Tony Blair for the falklands as well!

Yep for those of us old enough to remember that episode I do remember that the Argentines sort of invaded British territory and took British citizens captive.

An absence of response would have been unacceptable and only an option for a dupe of the sort now in presidency here in the USA.

If Thatcher had simply given in to the Argentines the entire empire would have been screaming for her head on a platter.

And Yes, some things are worth the sacrifice of lives to attain. Sometimes it is the price of freedom.
Pages: 1 2 3 4