Survival UK Forums

Full Version: New Skills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I imagine we are all fairly proficient at a variety of things, but are there any new skills you want to learn? Perhaps you are a chap and fancy learning how to knit or spin - very useful skills to have.

Personally, I want to learn butchery. I have no qualms at all about cutting up meat, but I would like to learn how to prepare cuts properly to make best use.
I'd like to learn more about roofing, specifically using natural materials like reeds or straw. I will do it.

Butchery is useful in normal life, but if SHTF then it's pretty easy to take all edible parts and make them into burgers / sausages.
Only one really, better at growing veggies and gardening in general ..on the face of it..in past posts you could forgiven for thinking i am half tidy.....if only is more the truth.
For me, it would have to be improving trapping and hunting skills.
I'm going with MaryN on the butchery. My dad was a butcher a long time ago and taught me a lot but it's certainly an art form and like me a lot of you must have seen the waste created from a badly butchered chicken let alone anything bigger.
Also I'd like to learn how to keep freshly killed game for along time as for me it usually goes in the freezer.
I would like to build an older model pre-computerized Jeep for the fleet.

I would like to put together a wood gasifier to power it.
I've bought a singer 201k last week so I'm getting stuck in with that. Getting there... slowly. Sheath for 24" saw was first. Came out, well, crap. Then I made canvas lunchbag... not too bad. Had bobbin issues, all a bit messy on the backside. Then a couple of pouches, all slightly misshapen. Bit like me. Anyway, the last thing I made, a canvas tool roll with velcro closure, I'm pretty happy with... next one up is copy of the duluth / dave canterbury log cot. Got to learn to edge things properly first though. And I think I need new feet... or some instructions. Good fun though, not sewn myself to anything yet.
For me it would be improve my skills on butchery and methods of preserving meet other than the freezer, also improving on my electric and electronic skills to able build and repair my own solar circuits.
The biggest stumbling block for me is finding the time, unless I book myself on some sort of course or specifically set myself a day aside specially then it just don't happen, there is always another job to be done around here at the moment, but then that's the way I like to be.
I'd like to improve my mechanical skills on vehicles with a view to building an maintaining my own steam and alcohol engines.
Ham Radio
Vehicle Servicing
Minor Surgical Procedures