Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Explosion, what do you do next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When London was getting blown up in 2005 & I was stuck in the middle of the immediate aftermath, my reaction was to get out in the open asap & be equal distance away from any building (buildings were about 30m apart where I was, I stopped around the 15m area). Just for the record, I was literally crapping myself aswell. Won't pretend I was all cool & level headed. However my only thoughts were simple self preservation.

My response to this scenario would be pretty much the same. But get as far away from any building as physically possible. If the blast hasn't killed you, the building possibly collapsing might finish you off
when your fight or flight kicks in you will just get the hell out of their , only a fool would head back into it.
people have got out of a head on car crash and walked away only to find out once they have calmed down that they have a broken leg , f o f is a powerfull thing nature gave us .....use it.
(31 May 2015, 21:17)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]S13 has a lot of angles covered and a lot of it makes very good sense in theory but chances are unless you're highly trained and used to explosion's and scenes of exteme trauma/carnage you are just going to do the programmed human response and run away....a few will stay and help some will be shocked/traumatized/rooted to the spot but in the main people will run.

Spot on. I totally agree.

This is why I spoke about stress inoculation last year, about exposing yourself to stress in 'safe environments as much as possible so that you can better deal with it WTSHTF. Granted it's only a weak simulation, but it's better than nothing.

Also, this is why I'm putting this scenario into play now. So that we will not DEFINITELY run around like headless chickens. I'd rather have half an idea, than no idea. After all, the forum is about discussing ideas and learning from one another.

I believe that 85% of people will run away. 10% will be in shock (think shell shock, paralysed by fear). 4% will be confused and not know what's going on, like shock, but more like confused-denial. Leaving 1% that may have already played the scenario through their heads and have part of a rational thought, instead of animal behaviour.

Having an idea of what to do, is better than just following the flock off the cliff.
SOP's or drill's...... it always helps to have considered these things in advance as I feel you will make better choices once you've recovered your senses but nothing ever plays out like you expect so you need a degree of flexibility in there a bit like when martial artists learn kata's a scenario opens up and because you have practiced and commited a sequence of moves to memory/instinct you select just a little portion of one of those kata's that will serve you for just such an occasion.....don't be to rigid in your plans be fluid .... 5p's et al
Make mental note and set timer for longer.
(1 June 2015, 10:47)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]Make mental note and set timer for longer.

that's not even funny TH.
That is little bit funny BP
it will be when he gets a knock on the door from the bomb squad.
The beauty of thinking about things before they happen is that although you are shocked and will knee jerk you will also remember things and even if it changes your behaviour slightly you improve your chances of survival.

These scenarios are ones that we will never be able to practise. We have to accept that but everything you do to prep and think about them the better it will be.
(1 June 2015, 17:53)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]it will be when he gets a knock on the door from the bomb squad.

FUCK! there goes my plans for world domination, how the hell am I going to get rid of the Large Hadron collider I have in my underground lair, not to mention the flock of suicide Wood Pigeons trained to fly into parliament, foiled again Moriarty.
Pages: 1 2 3