Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Thermos flask
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was having a re-think on our bobs, at the moment we have 3 bobs and 4x 1 litre water bottles to use as we are on the move. I was thinking of replacing 1 or maybe 2 of the water bottles with thermos flask this would give us the option of having a hot drink along the way without the need to light up a cooker. Remember what keeps things hot will also keep them cool.

What do you guys think?.

UkS
I never leave home in winter with out a flask of boiling water, tea bags, dried milk ,sachets of coffee and hot chocolate, sugar and cupa soup, I got caught out 2 winters ago,went on a 25 minute journey then the snow came from no where and it took me 2 and half hours to get back home, a flask is a good idea.
We always carry hot water and also means of make at less a hot drink but we also carry 3 hot cans in each vehicle as well.
I put a flask in the wifes 4x4 in the winter if she has patients to visit out in the boonies, but the Transit BOV already has a portable cooker, gas bottles, water containers and drink making gear in it.
Good idea, just make sure you get the armoured ones. Otherwise your water will be full of glass.
Steel flasks are ideal for hot food as well. Put beans in a flask overnight after which pour in boiling water. Cap tightly and in the morning, cooked beans for breakfast. You can slow cook in this way. Its the same as having a hay box. People buy slow cookers that use electricity. All of which costs money. Hay box and steel flasks cost very little. Boil your food and put the pan in the haybox or flask and within from six to ten hours wou have a well cooked meal. Insulation is wonderful. I have used these methods for many years. Kenneth Eames.
I'm not big on hot drinks in the first place, so I wouldn't really use a thermos flask. But I can see the benefits.

Personally I think it would be a huge bit of extra space to take up. Better off with a hot water bottle. Also the hot water bottle can be hugely useful in the winter! If you need to keep something cold or hot, just wrap it in a load of silverfoil and insulate it heavily.
The thing is its another piece of kit to add (Hot water bottle). My thinking was that i would be carrying the same as a water bottle, replace the water bottle eith the stainless stell flask to carry the same amount of water either hot or cold.
(15 January 2012, 19:25)uks Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is its another piece of kit to add (Hot water bottle). My thinking was that i would be carrying the same as a water bottle, replace the water bottle eith the stainless stell flask to carry the same amount of water either hot or cold.

That's a fair point. But my water carrying is all in plastics. CamalBak bladders and the big inflaitable water storage. So I see why it would make sense for anyone with a water bottle in their pack.