Survival UK Forums

Full Version: EDC Design and Construction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Over the next few months I'm going to be enjoying a few projects. One of which is designing the perfect EDC for me.

I'll be keeping this thread updated with what I am thinking and I'll also be posting photos of the equipment when I get it.

Things already decided for the EDC:

1 litre of water

1 'Scythe 13' poncho pack
(1 military poncho, 10 tent pegs wrapped in 15 meters of paracord, all held in one poncho bag)

2-3 Space blankets

1 First Aid Kit

1 Pack hand sanitiser

1 Pack antiseptic

1 Torch

1 Pair of scissors

2-3 Builders dust masks

1 Pack water purifier tablets

2 Kendel Mint Cakes

2 Protein Bars

5 Normal chocolate bars (Mars, Yorkie, Snickers, etc)

2 Packs of tinned mints

1 Roll Gaffer-tape (cardboard inner taken out)

1 Multi tool (probably Gerber)

1 Knife (legal of course ;-) )

1 Spring loaded glass punch

1 Pair of kevlar gloves (BladeRunner brand)

1 Pair of protective sun glasses

Here is my reasoning behind each item:

1 litre of water
I really don't need to explain this!

1 'Scythe 13' poncho pack
(1 military poncho, one poncho bag, 10 tent pegs, and 15 meters of paracord)
This is for an emergency shelter more than for protection from the elements. I'll probably be wearing my waterproof jacket, or have it with me, so this is an item incase my GHB (kept in the car) is compromised.

2-3 Space blankets
These are again self explanitary. I'll only bring 2 of them out if there is an emergency situation. To help people in shock and that kind of thing. It would be unwise to get the third one out, but that is again in regards to my GHB being compromised.

1 First Aid Kit
I'm not explaining this, except that it would also be where I would keep my knife. That would make it seem more legitimate to carry a knife if it was with a FAK.

1 Pack hand sanitiser
This is incase of cuts, or if I'm tending to a person with an injury, or a child birth in an elevator (we've all seen it on TV at some point), or anything that requires cleanliness.

1 Tube of antiseptic
This is pretty much the same reason as above. But antiseptic would be used for treating things like a knife or a needle if doing emergency stitching on a person.

1 Torch
To see around if you're in a building and there's a power out or something like that.

1 Pair of scissors
These are incase of biological, chemical, or radioactive attack. Clothes should not be taken off over the head, they should be cut off (common sense) so a pair of scissors would be needed.

2-3 Builders dust masks
Imagine being on the streets in NY on 9/11 and having a dust mask! Enough said.

1 Pack water purifier tablets
Having 1 litre of water is good, but having more....better.

2 Kendel Mint Cakes
For when you need some sugar. Helps if you are in shock or if someone around you is.

2 Protein Bars
These are generally incase of GHB compromisation.

5 Normal chocolate bars (Mars, Yorkie, Snickers, etc)
These are a HUGE boost not just to energy, but also to moral and things like that. You have a few of them incase there are a few people that you are with. Sometimes it's good to share the wealth.

2 Packs of tinned mints
These are those extra little things that just make a day that little bit better. It might seem really stupid an item, but imagine you are stuck in a lift for HOURS. Mmmm, a mint. A small bit of pleasure that lasts a while. It's all about moral sometimes.

1 Roll Gaffer-tape (cardboard inner taken out)
There are so many uses it's unbelievable. A massively useful item when used with the ponchos. Also good to block up air vents or the alike if you need to enclose yourselves for a time period. Also, as grim as it may seem, if you have to wrap dead bodies in plastic sheets, after a huge accident or something, you don't want the plastic reopening.

1 Multi tool (probably Gerber)
A multi tool has so many uses, if you can't think of any, you're probably thinking of the wrong item. I'd go for a pair that had wire cutters. Pliers would be great, but if you can't have both, I'd rather have wire cutters.

1 Knife (legal of course ;-) )
A knife can be used for medical emergencies, cutting away clothing, building a shelter, cutting bandage, cutting cable ties, self defense, and much more.

1 Spring loaded glass punch
If you're stuck in a shop when something huge happens, like a fire, and everyone is rushing for the door, I'll go through the window. What about if you are on the outside and see people trying to get out? How about a medical emergency and you need stuff from a closed shop? Remember, it's not looting if you leave a note.

1 Pair of kevlar gloves (BladeRunner brand)
These are great for dealing with the glass in the above situation and most other situations that involve sharp objects and slashing motions.

1 Pair of protective sun glasses
There is a special reason for the wording. They are protective glasses first, then secondly they are sun glasses. Again, same as the dust masks, imagine how great eye protection would have been in 9/11

Any other ideas please pass them on.
Question, That appears more to be like a Bug Out Bag or 72 hour bag rather than an EDC, Dont you consider it rather large to have about yourself every day ?, not a criticism a genuine enquiry as my EDC is more akin to the items listed below and 99% carried in my pockets ?

Knife and Sharpener, normally a Cold Steel Voyager or Blade Tech Hunter Light lock knife with a Blade-Tech pocket knife sharpener.

Multi-tool and Lighter, Gerber Multiplier 400 / 600/ Legend models are the multi tool of my first choice, Lighter is normally a Blazer PB207 or just a plain old Bic lighter.

Flashlight and Spare Batteries, Fenix L2D or AP Pro series 120 powered by Duracell of Energiser Lithium AA Battteries.

Watch and Compass, Citizen Eco Drive or Lorus self winder chrono and Silva Compass

Wallet and Keys, Uncle Mikes Cordura Wallet

Shades + Case+ Cleaning Cloth, Unspecific brand but normally memory flex frames and polarised lenses.

Para-cord and Bandana, Mil spec 500 grade paracord and mil issue tan bandana

Cash and Cell-phone.

Notebook + Pen

I do expand it if i venture further from home with my EDC bag if I go as far as say Tyneside, or upgrade to BOB is travelling well out of area.
I understand that point of view. I did expect that as a response from at least one person.

I would always want a litre of water with me. I couldn't imagine being without at least a half litre bottle. That would be incase of a chemical attack and you need to wash the crap out of your eyes and off your exposed skin. Again, go back to 9/11, the amount of debris in the air! That's going to kill your eyes. Katrina, what if you were in a tall enough build to survive the impact of the water, but what are you going to drink? The tap water wouldn't be safe for long.

Same as with a small first aid kit. It is as much about looking after my own injuries. If something hits and I need to look after myself, a FAK would be idea. 2 of the Space Blankets would be in the FAK. But space blankets are small and light enough, so it's all good. Imagine if you needed to patch up someone up, but you didn't have a kit or anything sanitising to use! Guess where the sanitary items would be kept. But handwash stuff would be in a seperate area.

The knife, multi tool, and torch would be in seperate areas of the bag. Multi tool for quick access, knife in with the FAK, and the torch would be in a designated place along with a lighter, same as all my bags have. We seem to be totally agreed on those items.

The gaffa tape won't take up much space once the inside of the roll is removed. It's an item that I have a feeling I would regret not having, if anything happened. I'd probably take a few cable ties as well, but they are small enough.

'Scythe's Poncho Pack' is probably the most bulky item other than the water, but also the most useful, other than the water. It's not a heavy item though. So that would be a space constraint issue, not a weight issue.

The main things between my EDC and most peoples, seems to be the water and poncho pack.

I am happy to admit that the pack is very similar to my GHB. But that is because I have my EDC as an 'uncomfortable' back up for my GHB. What I mean here is that my GHB will get me home in relative comfort. I would be able to keep moving, stay fueled, hydrated, dry, and warm, with my GHB. I would be okay for 2-3 days of walking with my GHB, as long as I could find running water. That would be a relatively comfortable way to get home. If you can consider walking for 2-3 days comfortable. The idea that my EDC is also an 'uncomfortable' GHB is simply that. I could use it as a GHB, but I would not be comfortable. I would be hungrier, thurstier, colder, and as a result I would be more emotionally challenged by getting home. So really, I would be more UNCOMFORTABLE with the situation. But I would survive.

I'm based in Bristol for my job. I live a reasonable distance away from Bristol, so I drive in to work. Let's say I was parked in a multi-story car park and go around town. I'm there shopping, and I'm in the middle of the shopping centre. There is an earthquake, or something happens and buildings around start collapsing. Let's say I survive. I've used the water to wash my eyes out, I'm wearing the glasses and gas mask, so I can move safely. Next, I need to get out.
Simple...I walk where possible.
I get out and need to get to my GHB.....only one problem.....the multi story collapsed as well. My GHB is crushed, along with my BOB!
TRAGEDY!!! What do I do?
I need to get home. First thing I need to get home....shelter from the elements....Scythe's Poncho Pack.
Then it's just a case of starting the walk, finding water along the way, fill the bottle up, add a tablet.....I'm good to go.
One item that will certainly become a stable of my EDC and probably most other bags:

http://heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/Nite...-391-2101/
One item that will certainly become a stable of my EDC and probably most other bags:

http://heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/Nite...-391-2101/

Hmmmm there may be some hope for you yet Smile
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6707052549/

Rather than a poncho pack i just wear my DPM Smock which has sufficent carrying capacity for a healthy EDC without creating bulk. Its good to see other options and scenarios play out.
I like the look of that NR. Very similar.

I want to keep my pockets free of stuff other than wallet, car keys, and 2 mobile phones (work and personal)
I always keep knife, flashlight and lighter on my person, plus wearing watch, shades etc with wallet and kerchief in leg pocket, often I'll clip a pouch to my belt and add flashlight and mini prybar, and if tower blocks are on the agenda a cotton dust mask and chemical light stick gets slipped into other pockets.
(16 January 2012, 11:06)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I always keep knife, flashlight and lighter on my person, plus wearing watch, shades etc with wallet and kerchief in leg pocket, often I'll clip a pouch to my belt and add flashlight and mini prybar, and if tower blocks are on the agenda a cotton dust mask and chemical light stick gets slipped into other pockets.

I'm not one for pouches. They always seemed 'weird' to me as a kid. I'm 27 and look very much the city dweller. If you saw me in everyday life, before learning about survivalism, you would assume I was an urban cafe dweller, possibly with a Starbucks tattoo. My dress sense is slowly changing, but for city life/time I will always look like a normal city person wearing a record bag style EDC. If there's a 9/11 situation and that dusts kicks up everywhere, I'll be much better prepared, but I'll also try and grab a book or newspaper and cover up the fact that I was wearing a dust mask.
All my EDC gear is out of sight cept for my polarised shades, The pouch is just a nite eyes pock-it that disappeares completely under my sweatshirt, hoody or smock
(16 January 2012, 11:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]All my EDC gear is out of sight cept for my polarised shades, The pouch is just a nite eyes pock-it that disappeares completely under my sweatshirt, hoody or smock

Oh I get you now. That's smart.
What I hope for is the ability to kit up as soon as I'm out of an urban area.

My EDC is to get me to my car where I have my short term-BOB and GHB. If they are compromised I need to rely on my EDC. I want to be in the city, with everything I need. But WTHSTF I want to be able to grab a few things, like dust mask, first aid kit, and water, then put those in my pockets (not the FAK) and start moving. I don't want to need to pick up water from a smashed shop window, or anything like that. I want to be able to turn round and get out.
Question, with your water fetish would you not be better off with one of those very low profile water bladders you can wear like a rucksack but under your coat, I think about 4 litres of water is inly an inch or so thick by about 18 inches square?, Camelback inserts or something they are called. No more bulky bottles, hands free and bite operated feed pipe ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...5pbpgs2a_b
Pages: 1 2 3