Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Toilet paper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I read somewhere that in the siege of Sarajevo in the early 90's one of the most sort after items was toilet roll. Now I'm sure we can all see the truth in this and I'm stocking up, but I've also read telephone directories are a good substitute.
Now I must admit I've given it a go and I reckon I could manage with the yellow pages quite happily, after all I vaguely remember my nan's out house back up North when I was a kid and the newspaper sheets on a string, so its nothing new.
So what I plan to do is start collecting. It's the right time of year because the new directories are out soon, so there'll be loads about.
I then plan to build a veg garden on my garage roof using the books as a parapet wall around the edge. They will be covered with a membrane called EPDM that I've found, so hopfully those toilet rolls in my loft can be used for barter when the World goes pop.
I have a good stock of loo role and kitchen roll set aside we bulk buy it when its on offer, but I feel personally that after TSHTF ( maybe literally) personal hygiene discipline with have to be far more rigorous to prevent outbreaks of disease. So my emergency kit is highly loaded towards using sterile baby wipes to make sure the job is dont right, and I've also loads of hand sterilising gell to make sure hands are disinfected even if we are on the road after bugging out.
I think we are carrying 36 toilet rolls, 15 packs of baby wipes and 4 hand sterilising gel dispensers all on offer at macko at sometime or other.
Someone on one of the forums post a good article on how to make your own sterile baby wipes, but I cant remember where, if any of us are members on other forums do a quick search to see if you can find it please.
I lived on a desert island for 5 weeks, and the guy that gave survival training on the first day (before we were abandoned) said we could use a hibiscus leef. You start using the rough side, then finish with the finer (softer) side.

I'm a real luxury whore when it comes to TP. It needs to be aloe fresh, soft, beautiful stuff!!! Anything else is like nettles.

This is actually my greatest fear from a SHTF scenario.
Eventually in a long term disaster and the paper either runs out or becomes two valuable to wipe your bot with we will probably have to go back to doing it the way the Romans did, with a chunk of sponge on a stick that is kept in your own tub of clean soapy water and you use your own personalised stick to wash your bum with.
Aye.. It's a bum job.

I have plenty of toilet paper but there are many long term replacements that you can consider. It's a luxury item and from what I can see it is the No 1 luxury item on peoples lists. Must be the prime candidate for a barter item.
My parents told me that years ago in Ireland people used dock leaf as loo roll
(19 January 2012, 20:34)Prep Girl Wrote: [ -> ]My parents told me that years ago in Ireland people used dock leaf as loo roll

Did they pick it first or did they drag their bums through it like my terrier does ? Smile
(19 January 2012, 20:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(19 January 2012, 20:34)Prep Girl Wrote: [ -> ]My parents told me that years ago in Ireland people used dock leaf as loo roll

Did they pick it first or did they drag their bums through it like my terrier does ? Smile

Lol see the Dog knows!
Pages: 1 2