Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Post SHTF Radio Use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to the idea of comms.

I have a mobile phone (2 including my work phone) and they really annoy me. I don't like having phones, I never liked them. I was forced into them through parents (for safety), girlfriends (they didn't believe I didn't have a mobile and got suspicious), and mainly jobs (they didn't believe I didn't have a mobile and got suspicious).

I love the idea of the 20 year battery life mobile phone, and will probably get one of them, then scrap my other phones.

But I was thinking about radio comms, ham radio, and things like that, after readying (up to where I currently am in) Patriots, the novel. Even though I am very new to radio (I don't even listen to it in my car...or ever!!!) I do know one thing. Everyone is going, or everyone is already on, digital.

Because everyone is going, or already on, digital radio, doesn't that mean that FM radios will be useless? I'm really keen on learning about this, because it sounds like a vital part of knowing when to bug out, or even if you should at all.

I'd have a couple of car batteries, and a chunk of solar cells to charge any system I got. But if nobody is using FM radio, or ham radio, or anything like that, then what would be the point?

HELP, I'm lost. Radio is well out of my comfort zone.
Mine too. I've got an emergency radio that i listen to with bad weather around, 2 way radio set short range and a CB fitted in the landrover.

What else would you recommend?.
(23 January 2012, 10:13)uks Wrote: [ -> ]Mine too. I've got an emergency radio that i listen to with bad weather around, 2 way radio set short range and a CB fitted in the landrover.

That's more than I've got mate. All I have is my car radio. Can easily fit a trickle solar charger to the car battery, so that would be the power sorted. With it being a BIG diesel battery, I would have a BIG radio run time.

I've never been into music, so I've never wanted/needed a radio to listen to music.

Would many people really have a transmitter? I can't see many people using the radio systems.
Scythe,

There are several articles on this sybject from Lighspeed. Read the main site and the threads he has written or commented in.
Thanks SD.

I'm so used to using the forum that I forget about a lot of the main site's information.

Thank you.
I was the same S13 but now that i have started the main site im starting to find a few more things