Survival UK Forums

Full Version: prospects of survival for todays society
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
OK, i found this whilst trawling idly through the web, its American but could equally apply to the UK. "the human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves"-Arnold J. Toynbee...............................the sad thing is, during a real SHTF situation its not wild animals or roaming gangs that will pose the largest threat to society. the real danger will come from our current cultures lack of being able to do anything for ourselves.from the crippling dependence on technology to their reliance on prescription medications just to make it through the day, our current culture seems doomed to fail. i read a report that said during the last 10 years the use of anti depressants has gone up over 400%, that same report found that 11% of all Americans aged 12 or older are now taking anti depressants. IF THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE A HARD TIME COPING WITH LIFE NOW,WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WHEN THOSE DRUGS RUN OUT?? i think todays society has been so dumbed down by technology,modern culture and just plain ignorance that i doubt most people would survive longer than a month in a real SHTF situation, its sad to say but once the lights go out and the TV dosent go on i think a huge number of people are just going to throw up their hands and give up-END QUOTE.
Totally agree with that statement. Just take a look at schools hardly any woodworking lessons no cooking lessons, the school i went to even had agricultural science lessons.
Yes all of us are to dependent on hi tech things, all my life prepping one of the things that i have prepped for is a world without power, yes i have electric drills etc but the basis of my tool kits are hand powered ie brace and bits.
I have batteries and a means of making electricity but i dont count on that because a some stage this will go wrong and not be repairable. One of the only things i will miss will be talking to you guys here.
(25 January 2012, 18:07)uks Wrote: [ -> ]Totally agree with that statement. Just take a look at schools hardly any woodworking lessons no cooking lessons, the school i went to even had agricultural science lessons.
Yes all of us are to dependent on hi tech things, all my life prepping one of the things that i have prepped for is a world without power, yes i have electric drills etc but the basis of my tool kits are hand powered ie brace and bits.
I have batteries and a means of making electricity but i dont count on that because a some stage this will go wrong and not be repairable. One of the only things i will miss will be talking to you guys here.
yes, one of the things i have been trying to do is acquire some basic hand tools as, like you, i am preparing for a world without power, thats why i talk a lot about donkeys and carts, i get laughed at by NR-i know he dosent mean it!-but i envisage a period when all people will be living a lifestyle similar to the Amish.
BP try going to farm and country auctions you can pick up some amazing pieces of kit
Mind like a sieve. We are looking for a bit of land to turn into a smallholding or get a smallholding only a couple of acres. To become self sufficent in food and firewood etc, but my plan is to get a shire horse to work the land.
(25 January 2012, 18:16)uks Wrote: [ -> ]BP try going to farm and country auctions you can pick up some amazing pieces of kit
yes, i was going to do that when we moved home to Devon but never actually got round to it, having said that we have a WEEKLY auction here in the market shed every tuesday and we have had a few bits from that, the odd chair and i had a couple of 25litre water containers. i think Shire horses are a bit on the invisible side these days, try a decent cob.
(25 January 2012, 18:13)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ], i am preparing for a world without power, thats why i talk a lot about donkeys and carts, i get laughed at by NR-i know he dosent mean it!-but i envisage a period when all people will be living a lifestyle similar to the Amish.

BPs idea of heavy rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg&ob=av3e
Sounds good me, mine you im tone deaf can't hold a tune in a bucket
(25 January 2012, 18:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]BPs idea of heavy rock

never mind heavy rock, you try digging around here-its all solid ball clay this side of the riverTongue
(25 January 2012, 19:19)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(25 January 2012, 18:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]BPs idea of heavy rock

i like the video, by the way, at least theyve got decent beardsTongue

(25 January 2012, 19:19)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ][quote='NorthernRaider' pid='6026' dateline='1327512546']

BPs idea of heavy rock

i like the video, by the way, at least theyve got decent beardsTongue

The thought of other people from my generation surviving through a global catastrophy.

If you took away electricity and gas away for 1 week, there would be HUGE issues!!!

As far as everyone from our generation is concerned, food comes from a magic place. It's like Narnia behind those big doors in Tesco. Where elves grow mystical prewrapped chickens from a testube.

My generation is screwed!!!
(25 January 2012, 19:31)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]The thought of other people from my generation surviving through a global catastrophy.

If you took away electricity and gas away for 1 week, there would be HUGE issues!!!

As far as everyone from our generation is concerned, food comes from a magic place. It's like Narnia behind those big doors in Tesco. Where elves grow mystical prewrapped chickens from a testube.

My generation is screwed!!!
yep, you certainly got that right! if you ask most sheeple where their food comes from they'd say"dur-the supermarket??" they have no concept of where anything comes from, nor do they care. like the article says once the lights go off, they throw up their hands and give in! oh well, i dont really care if once TSHTF all the sheeple commit mass suicide, bring it on i say, leaves the rest of us to get on with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4