Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(24 October 2022, 20:19)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]He pulls it Pete ……..with his teeth ! .

Can't risk the teeth SS. I am the only one in the neighborhood that has any so I get special preference on hard candy and solid foods.

I have a stout harness made from the wench straps off a flat bed lorry. I put that on like a life vest and pull it with that!

Actually I have been considering a hitch off the internet. They are made for installation on everything now. I have all types of accessories that fit the square tube. I have platforms, motorbike carriers, a hitch mounted winch and a half dozen accessory slide in adapters.

We have different towing regulations, as well as different hitches, over here and what you folks use to tow a caravan is not allowed to pull a dog cart over here.

This little car is not rated for towing anything, but my present trailer is a light utility job not rated for more than 500 kilos. I doubt I have ever had that much on it. I would want the hitch only for emergency use.

The real problem with an aftermarket hitch on a very small car is the lighting. Cars since 2000 year models are computer controlled to put out only as much lighting power as the vehicle is rated for and adding trailer lights over stresses not only engine and transmission but also the electrics. I might be able to trick the system using LED lights on the trailer. They draw practically nothing.

Fortunately our home building supply big box stores have trailers and pickup trucks available to rent at $20 per day. Several vehicle rental centers do the same. I can rent a 5M box van for $30. If I need to shift stuff around or purchase outsized items I can rent a truck cheaply.
And I thought things here were complicated Sad .
(24 October 2022, 21:56)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]
(24 October 2022, 20:19)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]He pulls it Pete ……..with his teeth ! .

...............The real problem with an aftermarket hitch on a very small car is the lighting. Cars since 2000 year models are computer controlled to put out only as much lighting power as the vehicle is rated for and adding trailer lights over stresses not only engine and transmission but also the electrics. I might be able to trick the system using LED lights on the trailer. They draw practically nothing..........

MB, Just found this out, it may be of help if not for you for someone else.

The problem seems to be the system that’s designed to detect bulb failures etc. You can get bypass relays that take a supply direct from the battery or fuse box to prevent this.

Over here Maypole Uk Ltd make their “smart logic 7 pin bypass relay” MP3877.

I’m sure in the US there must be manufacturers making similar products.
Those systems are available here. I happened to remember that I had one installed on the Jeep. The Jeep came with a what we call a Class 2 hitch, which has a 50mm tube receiver. It came with the hitch installed but no lighting adapter. They did have to take power off the battery when they installed the adapter. That was an expensive addition at $250 US and not worth the use I got from it.

With the present vehicle I am not going that direction. I am allowed to pull a light duty utility trailer with no lights if the vehicle lights can be seen over the top of the trailer.

I am over due for a body rebuild on the present trailer, as well as its lighting system, and it is going into "low side" configuration. I will put sides less than a foot tall on it and splash reflectors all over it. That will work fine for my needs in transporting building supplies and runs to the dump.
Had a full service on the truck this week , it’s going back in for the timing belt, water pump alternator belt and antifreeze this coming week so that lot will fetch it back up-to par ! I learnt the hard way to change the timing belts early …..you only get caught out the once ,not worth taking the chance or more to the point the major expense of the repairs when you fall foul of inaction ……..hopefully these jobs will see me out !
(19 October 2022, 19:03)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I, myself, have started over once again after 5 years with the Jeep Liberty. It was a shock after experiencing a long and successful run of Jeep vehicles that began in 1972.

I have joined Pete in the possession of a small sedan built for economy and durability.

Well MB, I was wondering how you are getting on with it eight months on and are you pleased with it ?.
NO!! It sucks!

I'm a cowboy, I need my Jeep, pickup or duce-n-a-half! How is a man to maintain a proper image driving a pregnant roller skate.

Actually it does a good job of going A-B and gets exceptional mileage. 35MPG of our 1 quart short of yours gallons. It runs at motorway speeds like a sewing machine, but blows about radically in the slightest breeze. A good sized motorbike makes enough wind to scare it badly. (Actually a good sized motorbike has a larger engine)

I had to trim down the emergency gear because the "action packer" would not fit into the boot. I had to trim the med supplies down to trauma for ten and the food supply was reduced to one week rather than two. I also had to toss one blanket and the tent so I am down to a couple of tarps and a zero bag. I now have a system; If the weather is bad I'm not going out, so I need less these days.

It is just barely wide enough for the shotgun to fit the back seat floor side to side, but it does have a glove box large enough to hold a Russian Torkrev pistol so I am getting by.

One nice thing is that it is invisible. I mean completely disappears once you walk away, like a Klingon space ship. I had to put a florescent tennis ball on the radio antenna so I can find it in the car park when shopping. It is that shade of charcoal black that absolutely no one notices.

If I ever wanted "gray man" out of a survival vehicle this is it!
Oh yes, I did the trailer rebuild I was threatening. I stripped it down to the frame, scraped and painted with rust proof, then built a simple flat floor with stanchions on the corners and tie down metal loops along the sides.

I had the light duty hitch installed on the little car and it pulls just fine. I have used it a couple of times for hauling lumber and garden supplies. It's all I need at the moment.
try driving a little Vauxhall Agila, it disappears behind bigger cars in car parks, mind you its small enough to pass someone else in a narrow country lane where larger vehicles would have to reverse half a mile, it can also hold its own on motorways, its very nippy and fast, I keep the rear seats permanently folded flat, there is only ever 2 of us in it, so there is plenty of room in the back for stuff including my GHB. you'd be surprised what I can get in the back, pallets, plastic barrels, bags and bags of compost and horse manure etc.etc.
(23 June 2023, 01:07)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]NO!! It sucks!

I'm a cowboy, I need my Jeep, pickup or duce-n-a-half! How is a man to maintain a proper image driving a pregnant roller skate.

One nice thing is that it is invisible. I mean completely disappears once you walk away, like a Klingon space ship. I had to put a florescent tennis ball on the radio antenna so I can find it in the car park when shopping. It is that shade of charcoal black that absolutely no one notices.

If I ever wanted "gray man" out of a survival vehicle this is it!

Sorry you’re disappointed MB, are you going to keep it or go back to a Jeep or another SUV ?.

I like the tennis ball ? , if you’re ever on a clandestine mission just remember to remove it Smile.

Live long and prosper ?.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13