Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Electricity needs when the grids down.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
If I had a large solar power bank I would reduce some of the needs, say lights all LED powered by batteries at night, and the central heating pump, when the panels aren’t charging.

In day time when the panels are working (21 panels should give a fare old wack), I would use timers to stager the times for the freezer and washing machine and probably also an immersion heater if possible. When NOT using 240volts I would charge the battery bank.

With 21 panels, most likely 180W = 3.8kW, If only 75% efficient 2.8kW - 11.5amps at 240volts.
If just 50% efficiency 1.9kW - 8amps, (240v), still very useful, but would need to schedule use.
its what I've always said about some people making life post collapse too complicated, no offence meant, but I really dont see the point of depending on something that has a finite use. and once it no longer works what then?
keep it simple has always been my motto and my philosophy.
A freezer and a washing machine post collapse? really?
Keeping electrickery going for as long as you can will ease your transition into a future without electrickery. Like everything else you don't want to go cold turkey. You keep you food lasting longer, keep warm in freezing weather many have never experienced life without central heating, keeping in touch, and cooking without a fire keeps your profile down. All good reasons to keep power as long as you can.

Prepping to keep power is an extra imo and a good one at that.
I guess I must be different. the odd one out.
I have never lived in a house that had central heating, just kept one room warm and lived in that.
I lived off grid for years without power of any kind so I'm used to being without electricity.
(29 February 2024, 10:13)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]its what I've always said about some people making life post collapse too complicated, no offence meant, but I really dont see the point of depending on something that has a finite use. and once it no longer works what then?

I do get where you are coming from but history kind of proves that mankind hasn't reverted back to the previous 'age' shall we say,...if you take the finite use aspect to heart for example, why arent you living like cave man now?
Mankind becomes use to and wants to maintain the lifestyle that they are currently in,...I could be wrong here but I don't think that anyone from the Iron age would have gone back to the Bronze age for example.
(29 February 2024, 13:30)earthman Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 February 2024, 10:13)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]its what I've always said about some people making life post collapse too complicated, no offence meant, but I really dont see the point of depending on something that has a finite use. and once it no longer works what then?

I do get where you are coming from but history kind of proves that mankind hasn't reverted back to the previous 'age' shall we say,...if you take the finite use aspect to heart for example, why arent you living like cave man now?
Mankind becomes use to and wants to maintain the lifestyle that they are currently in,...I could be wrong here but I don't think that anyone from the Iron age would have gone back to the Bronze age for example.
I lived off grid on 2 acres of land in a wooden caravan for 12 years but I didnt own the land, owner died and her heir didnt want me on the land anymore so I had to come back to "civilisation" and start again.
If or should I say when we lose the grid etc, you will be less affected by it bigpaul, hat's off to you.

On one hand I don't think that it's going to happen because how will the powers at be control us via all this digital tech if there's no electricity to power it? On the other hand, solar flares for example are totally out of their control so even they could end up with no power.
I know what to do and I have the tools to do it thats for sure.
the power grid going down would be the last straw for at least 90% of the UK population.
TPTB would have enough on their hands keeping control of London to bother about the rest of us, we would be on our own and its time people realised this and plan accordingly.
[quote='bigpaul' pid='110046' dateline='1709197997'

[/quote]

The above post could save money at any time pre collapse.

Post collapse priority would always be battery charging and lighting.

Then certainly the freezer while you can and there’s surplus food, even home grown stuff.

Immersion heater pre or post definitely, washing machine if you can why not ?.

If you have any solar power use it to make life a little easier.

Your choice.
(29 February 2024, 20:52)Pete Grey Wrote: [ -> ][quote='bigpaul' pid='110046' dateline='1709197997'

The above post could save money at any time pre collapse.

Post collapse priority would always be battery charging and lighting.

Then certainly the freezer while you can and there’s surplus food, even home grown stuff.

Immersion heater pre or post definitely, washing machine if you can why not ?.

If you have any solar power use it to make life a little easier.

Your choice.
[/quote]

for as long as it lasts.
most UK systems dont seem to have a battery backup, all excess electric is sold off to the national grid a good little earner but no help post collapse.
still not my problem, dont have solar and couldnt afford it if I did.
better things to spend my money on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9