Survival UK Forums

Full Version: DIY Practical Rifle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thought I would share a project I have been working on for quite some time. My idea is to put together a general-purpose rifle that could handle any situation thrown at it, and which would be the first one I grab in a SHTF scenario. I have always liked the idea of a scout rifle (as per Jeff Cooper) but I think the idea of a forward-mounted long eye relief scope is a bit dated. Modern scopes have come a long way.
I have always believed in having a gunsmith work on my rifles, but for this project I wanted to learn the skills myself. If I can build it then I can fix it.

My vision is an all-weather rifle that could be used for hunting and home defense with multiple quick changeable sighting options, all in a handy but rugged package. It needs to be utterly reliable. The rifle needs to be chambered in something commonly available (both for ammo and handloading components).

A few years ago a purchased a left-handed Winchester M70 Stainless in 30-06. The wooden stock had been chopped down to the extent that it was unusable to me.

What I have done to date:
-I have installed Talley stainless bases
-The rear base is machined for the Talley quick detachable peep site
-I have a Meopta Meopro 3-9x50 scope in quick detachable Talley rings. This scope has a BDC reticle.
-I have finished the inletting on a new wooden stock sent to me from a friend in the USA, and am in the process of a hand-rubbed oil finish (this will be temporary until I can find a synthetic stock).
- I have replaced the factory stock bolts with ones that have a hex head - much easier to remove with an allen key.

What still needs to be done:
- I have ordered a barrel band front site which I plan to steel epoxy onto the barrel at 22"
-The barrel will be trimmed and threaded for a moderator/silencer forward of the sight with a hidden thread protector (to be done by the gunsmith as I simply can't do this).
-I have ordered a set of high-viz patridge front sights of a few different heights
-A front sling attachment for the stock forend needs to be installed.
-I need to find a sturdy synthetic stock, but I am struggling to find any that will fit a left-handed M70.
- I also need to find a low-powered scope with an illuminated reticle. Something along the lines of a 1-6x that I can put in QD rings.
- Cerakote all the stainless metal parts a darker colour.

Once it is all put together I will have a stock pouch with the peep sight, a spare front blade, the allen key for stock removal, and a few rounds of spare ammo. I will have two scopes prezero'd. One 3-9x50 capable of making shots out to 500m with the BDC reticle, and another scope with an illuminated reticle for use in darker settings. A durable sling will top it all off.

I have a box of new Lapua brass and some Barnes 175gn LRX so will do some load development at the end and then zero the scopes and peep site for the load. I am hoping to be able to take it out after a deer later this year and hopefully using the peep sight.
The Winchester M70 donor with Talley Bases and the oil finish on the temporary stock coming along, and the Meopta scope with the original vs hex stock screws, the Talley peep, and some reloading bits.
To each his own.

You are a man filled with contradictions Camp-bell.

Which assemblage of extremely complicated, extremely expensive name dropper specialty parts makes this an "all around rifle"?
Good question Mortblanc,
while I wouldn't call the add-on parts expensive they are well-made and are particular to the platform I have chosen (well the bases at least). The all-round bit comes from firstly the versatility of the chambering. The 30-06 can be used on any animal that walks the planet (legalities aside), and is consistently in the top 10 in terms of popularity (read availability). Secondly, the Winchester rifle has a control round feed mauser action which can be field stripped and is renowned for reliability. All stainless metal parts mean this rifle can be used in any environment without worrying about corrosion. Lastly, having a primary aiming system (scope) and a backup (peep and front sight) gives it versatility at least in my eyes.
A number of factory rifles would do the same job, if that is what you are getting at, like a Brno 601, older Winchesters or Ruger M77s that came with sights, and perhaps some Sako's. However, being left-handed means non of those are suitable and I have to adapt what I can find with name dropper parts. Popular chamberings like 308 win, 270 win, and 6.5x55 would also fit the bill as an all-rounder.
Hopefully, when I have the finished product my vision will be clearer.
Am I correct to presume that you are not in UK? I cannot imagine a British subject being able to assemble such a rig. If I am wrong in my assumption please correct me. I am in the USA and find a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 in .30-'06 with Lyman 48 receiver sight quite adequate. Simplicity is more practical than bells and whistles.
(6 August 2023, 18:34)CharlesHarris Wrote: [ -> ]Am I correct to presume that you are not in UK? I cannot imagine a British subject being able to assemble such a rig. If I am wrong in my assumption please correct me. I am in the USA and find a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 in .30-'06 with Lyman 48 receiver sight quite adequate. Simplicity is more practical than bells and whistles.

I am based in the UK. We are allowed to have a rifle for ‘good reason’ i.e. hunting or target shooting and surprisingly there is a very big hunting community. The countryside around me has a big population of deer and a few ‘stalkers’ make a living providing venison to the supermarkets and butcheries. The Lyman sight is a good option but realistically I will be using a scope 99% of the time.

A Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be the king of simplicity in my books, but ammo is not as common as I would like amongst other reasons.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine from the 1920s which is handy to carry, but VERY limited beyond about 150 yards. The peep sighted '06 has a solid 250-yard zero on it and a range card garnished to the stock with come-ups and wind diagrams out to 600 yards. While I wouldn't shoot at game that far I use it in modified Infantry Trophy matches and score a bit better with it than I do with my Garand. Since cataract surgery I see iron sights like a 20-year-old again, so seldom use a scope other than for ammu option testing
(6 August 2023, 20:07)CharlesHarris Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the clarification.

I have a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine from the 1920s which is handy to carry, but VERY limited beyond about 150 yards. The peep sighted '06 has a solid 250-yard zero on it and a range card garnished to the stock with come-ups and wind diagrams out to 600 yards. While I wouldn't shoot at game that far I use it in modified Infantry Trophy matches and score a bit better with it than I do with my Garand. Since cataract surgery I see iron sights like a 20-year-old again, so seldom use a scope other than for ammu option testing

Thanks that is really interesting information. What front sight do you have on the ‘06? I’m guessing a bead would cover way to much of the target at those distances. I’ve gone for a flat top post (patridge) front sight.
What weight bullets are you using for the matches?
I'm in the UK so I have a NERF gun with a extended stock on it. When things collapse over here I'll be expecting airdrops from our pals in the US of arms and ammo.
(7 August 2023, 11:48)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the UK so I have a NERF gun with a extended stock on it. When things collapse over here I'll be expecting airdrops from our pals in the US of arms and ammo.

We did that already.

Back during WW2 we sent thousands of civilian rifles and shotguns as donations to your Home Defense. Public donations for your public protection.

At the end of the war your government confiscated them and melted them for scrap.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice....
Pages: 1 2