Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Canned Stuff?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't like canned foods generally due to additives. So I am choosy about what I stock. Some of my favourites are beans, veg, tomatoes and fruit. What are your preferred choices to stock? Mine are based on nutrients (e.g. black beans for potassium) where I can.
Mmmm. Personally I like to mix and match. I prefer meat equivalents, mackerel fillets, corned beef, salmon, beef stew etc. as I believe that it will be much easier to forage veg than meat so I have a larger mix of mains rather than veg. We will need veg earlier on whilst we keep our heads down. I also have fruit but I try and avoid acidic stuff as they can, and have, eaten their way out of the can and leaked. Although once they do so they kind of dry up and just make a mess. So my mix is about 50% fish, meat, stew, etc. 25% veg and 25% fruit.

I expect that after I have consumed the fruit and veg I will be back to basic fare, what can be grown in the UK. So I'd like the occasional treat of something different. Perhaps 5% of the fruit and veg are items I don't think I will be able to replace.

On a tin and tin basis I have more bean and sausages, mackerel fillets, salmon, tuna and peaches, potatoes and carrots than anything else. It may sound boring but I have the lucky capacity to each the same thing for several days without getting bored.
Of course I should have mentioned fish e.g. herring and the smaller species which being at the bottom of the food chain will have less poisons in them. Tuna (skipjack), mackerel and salmon. I have an allotment but in crisis that could easily be raided. Don't forget the oils! i use Organic cold pressed Rapeseed and Olive. A good stock of flour is crucial too so I keep 3 mnths supply of organic white and wholemeal (wheat and Rye).
we find that canned fruit tends to have no flavour its just wet mush.
canned veg is fine, some of it is better than the fresh stuff depending on how quickly it was canned after harvest e.g. Peas.