Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Arrows.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am stocking wooden arrows for use with a traditional (non crossbow) bow, i have just been counting up and i have got 30 arrows plus a few that need some work on them, question is if anyone is keeping arrows how many do you need ?? or is it as many as you can get??
Just started with the bow my feeling as many as you can get because sometimes they break or become damaged.
They are small. I used to buy a few every now and again and put them in store. I don't have that many though because I keep on losing them.
(2 February 2012, 11:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]i am stocking wooden arrows for use with a traditional (non crossbow) bow, i have just been counting up and i have got 30 arrows plus a few that need some work on them, question is if anyone is keeping arrows how many do you need ?? or is it as many as you can get??

As many as you can get.
I don't think you can ever have too many arrows.
It's so easy to lose them especialy if they miss their target and go into long grass or really soft ground.
I have 2 dozen good quality aluminium arrows fitted with screw in piles so I can practice without ruining my broadheads.... They have all missed targets, been burried under the turf and had to be located with a metal detector, but they're all still straight and true... Expensive, but well worth the money.
Mmmm. That does sound a good idea. My carbon fibre ones get lost. If I can stop losing them the extra cost would be worth it.
The other problems with carbon is that the impact force is greatly reduced due to their much lower energy down range and even composite carbon/aluminium arrows invariably break if they hit bone,

I'm unlikely to get an instant kill on a deer at 75 yards with my 70lb field bow so a heavier shaft and big broadheads suit me.... they don't go far if you hit them anywhere near the ticker.
I always keep two dozen made up, and two dozen raw shafts to be made into arrows as and when I need them. I only use wooden shafts as from a monetary sense they are cheaper.