Survival UK Forums
Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Bushcraft (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Fire Starter Trick/Knack (/showthread.php?tid=1374)

Pages: 1 2

Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Scythe13 - 15 March 2012

Hi Everyone

I've had a parcel of survival equipment arrive and tried loads of stuff out. One thing was some Fire Starters.

I tried out loads of random things on the fire starters to see what would spark.

Coins didn't work. Shotgun shell base didn't work. The inside of a tin didn't work. The outside of a pair of nail clippers didn't work.

The part where you put your nails in the nail clippers worked a treat!!!

Using the curved part, where you put your nail to cut it, actually caused a huge spark to jump onto the desk and burn for a second.

On TV the survival guys all seem to need the spark to catch in the right place. Using the new 'Scythe13-Style' the spark comes clean off the rod and sits in place for a good few seconds.

I'd love for a couple of people to try it out and see how it goes. It's pretty cool really.

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - TOF - 15 March 2012

Oh don't talk to me about beeping firestarters!! If you'd care to climb over my fence, there are at least 5 residing in the undergrowth after being launched in frustration.

Now a Fresnel lens... Oh yeah!

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Barneyboy - 15 March 2012

cotton wool and vaseline takes tiny spark and burns for 5 mins

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - preservefreak - 15 March 2012

that's a neat trick, thanks

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Scythe13 - 15 March 2012

(15 March 2012, 14:31)Barneyboy Wrote: cotton wool and vaseline takes tiny spark and burns for 5 mins

I've not actually tried that yet.

Try the nail clipper technique to shoot sparks onto the cotton wool.

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - bowdrill - 15 March 2012

i use back edge of my knife always got one with me

b/d

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Prep Girl - 15 March 2012

I store the lint from my dryer, lights easy and holds a flame well, I'll have to try the nail clippers on it coz got them in BOB as well, mind you I'd be hard pushed not to start a fire, I've got lint, cotton wool in Vaseline, water proof matches, lighters, was it you NR that suggested storing the cotton wool in old Kodak film cases? tiny but holds loads.

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Roscoe - 29 April 2012

I've just bought this little firestarter kit from amazon and it looks pretty decent. The best thing is it comes in a tin that you can use for a mini survival pocket kit (like the reviewer says).

Ross

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Scythe13 - 29 April 2012

(29 April 2012, 18:11)Roscoe Wrote: I've just bought this little firestarter kit from amazon and it looks pretty decent. The best thing is it comes in a tin that you can use for a mini survival pocket kit (like the reviewer says).

Ross

That's pretty cool.

How big's the tin?

WnC was talking about a survival tin challenge, which sounded great fun. So if it's a good sized tin, I'll look into one of those. Write up about how the lighter was as well.

Have you used one before?

Personally I've always been a matches and lighter kind of guy, but the cottonwool and lipbalk or vaseline thing is really cool and very easy to do!

RE: Fire Starter Trick/Knack - Roscoe - 29 April 2012

Personally I love the firesteel method, if you get good at using one then it is a lot more efficient than matches or lighters (roughly 3000 strikes for firesteel versus single use matches and limited fuel for lighters), vaseline and cotton wool is brilliant but I have some of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coghlans-Tinder/dp/B004W3ZKAQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1335719890&sr=8-9

Burn for 5 minutes and take up even less space than cotton wool!

I think the tin is the same size of a tobacco tin (2oz) so you could cram lots in there. I'll tell you what I think about it when I get hold of it. (also ordered a zippo with flints fuel and wicks)