Survival UK Forums
Deer - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Hunting (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Guns (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: Deer (/showthread.php?tid=1827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Deer - UncleFester - 29 November 2012

I agree with sealdriver if it's not been shot don't bother with it, as great as the idea of free meat is eating road kill deer in particular can be quite dangerous. When people cull deer they have usually done a dsc1 or been taught by some someone with years of experience of gralloching and inspecting the carcass, checking lymph glands, liver etc and preparing it in a sanitary way to preserve the meat without spoiling it. Alternatively if a vet has been out and put it out it's misery the stuff they use can kill you too, it's not a vets job to remove the carcass they just do there bit and leave.

However I you knock it over and know how to prep/check it then it's game on!

RE: Deer - SealDriver - 29 November 2012

Deer is certainly good tucka and it's a shame that more Preppers don't get into deer stalking. Second hand rifles are easy to come by and if you get in with the right people you will have a great deal of meat to freeze, dry, can and dehydrate. It's also organic and very tasty.Wink
All the above by the way as UncleFester says....FAC, DMQ and you are off cross beautiful countryside after a marvellous and enigmatic beast.Wink

RE: Deer - Highlander - 29 November 2012

I have had two cars wrote off due to Deer strikes,... it happens all the time up here, especialy in the winter when they come down from the high hills,...like many animals they love the salt on the roads, then get caught in the headlights, and they panic,... the last one to hit me I was already stopped, but it kept coming, I thought it was going through the windscreen, but it didnt,... but the car was no good after that.

On reflection I should have turned out the lights, it may have helped

RE: Deer - NorthernRaider - 29 November 2012

A lot of us prepper specifically avoid putting ouselves on anyones radar especially the police, ergo we dont apply for FACs or SGCs, we make do with other kit because our opsec is more important.

RE: Deer - Highlander - 29 November 2012

We have deer coming out of our ears here, I would love to go stalking, but dont have the gun to do so,.... Sealdriver, your mention about the ease at which you can get second hand rifles,.... how legally?,... and as NR said... we do have to be careful,... stalking = poaching here

RE: Deer - NorthernRaider - 29 November 2012

In my case and with my only decent skill as a marksman AFTER TSHTF I will use my bows to hunt with and they are at least fairly silent, cept when the sting slaps my forarm and all you can hear for miles is me swearing Smile

RE: Deer - Pagan-Mist - 29 November 2012

And chewing on buckshot is likely to cost you a visit to the dentist and cost about the same as a totaled car that normally has insurance unless of course you have a dental plan Smile

RE: Deer - SealDriver - 30 November 2012

(29 November 2012, 23:18)Highlander Wrote: We have deer coming out of our ears here, I would love to go stalking, but dont have the gun to do so,.... Sealdriver, your mention about the ease at which you can get second hand rifles,.... how legally?,... and as NR said... we do have to be careful,... stalking = poaching here

Hi Highlander,
Well to start off I would contact a local deer manager/stalker in your area or someone from either the 'British Deer Society' or the Scottish Deer Commission and ask about deer stalking and the Deer Management Courses available in your area. When I started I didn't have a rifle and had to borrow one from the course instructor for the shooting part of the test. Also contact the police and tell them you want a Firearms Licence for deer stalking. As you mentioned where you are there are plenty of deer so it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain one.

You can get good second hand rifles through websites such as 'Guntrader', personnally I'd go for a lower end of the price range rifle like a Browning, Savage, Tikka, CZ or Howa. Plenty good for a beginner at around £400 to £500. Your scope is going to cost you about £300 if you get something like a Leopold fixed magnification. It all seems very expensive, but you buy when you can, scrimp and save like I did....I'm not a rich man by no means. If you join a local range or shooting club you can do a great deal of marksmanship training at various distances and meet some top people who generally have the same views about nature and the world we live in, many are also Preppers.

If folks are interested I will do so articles on here about Deer and the FAC process.

And yes this is all legal and the Police are usually very good, being a Prepper isn't a crime yet and legally taking deer for food is a very good reason to own a firearm....saying that even if you can't afford a rifle you can go out with a stalker, use his rifle and still shoot deer.

RE: Deer - Highlander - 30 November 2012

Thanks for that,... In this part of Scotland we are surounded by estates, who [ rightly so ] protect their deer because they bring in big bucks from shooters the world over,..it would be almost impossible to gain a weapon this way,...In my job I work with a part-timer who when not doing `our` job is the gillie for one of these estates,... I already get whole beasts from him for my dogs,... but it would be more than his lifes worth to `lend` me a rifle,.... mates would not come into it

.... but thanks for the tip `Guntraders`

RE: Deer - Wildman - 30 November 2012

there's deer and wild boar in these parts. not plentiful enough to hunt though, a few more years yet. i',ve spotted boar runs and skuff marks but never actually seen one.