Survival UK Forums
My real life Bug Out Radio - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Communications (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Walkie Talkies (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+---- Thread: My real life Bug Out Radio (/showthread.php?tid=2222)

Pages: 1 2

My real life Bug Out Radio - Lightspeed - 27 July 2012

To inject a little reality into the Communications area.

Attached is word doc that describes and illustrates with a photograph my real life Bug Out Radio. Actually its the kit my partner and I take with us when we're in the mountains, or trekkig in the wilds throughout the year.

Its not the most powerful, nor longest range radio in the world but its rugged, durable, waterproofed, and small enough to carry in even the smallest of day sacks.

I post this only to encourage SUK friends to get radio coms equipment sorted straight away, even if it is only rudimentary gear like that illustrated.

An alternate pack using a UV-3R type radio could be assembled for around £40.00

Hope this is of interest.

LS

RE: My real life Bug Out Radio - Hrusai - 27 July 2012

thank you for that LS...i proclaim you the radio lord xD

honestly though that pretty much exactly the sort of thing i'd be looking to get, i do have a question though, whats the difference between uv-3r and say uv-5r...as neither terms are things ive heard before, is it to do with power, wavelength? range?

thanks again for this Smile

RE: My real life Bug Out Radio - Lightspeed - 27 July 2012

(27 July 2012, 15:24)Hrusai Wrote: thank you for that LS...i proclaim you the radio lord xD

honestly though that pretty much exactly the sort of thing i'd be looking to get, i do have a question though, whats the difference between uv-3r and say uv-5r...as neither terms are things ive heard before, is it to do with power, wavelength? range?

thanks again for this Smile

On the face of it the UV5r is the better radio hands down. It operates on the same ferquencies as the 3r , but has more power and its memories can be alpha tagged , which makes using them far far easier. Both radios cost approx the same.

If I could only afford one radio it would be the UV 5R.

But the downside of the 5r is that its larger and consumes more power.

Here in the Lightspeed houshold I have both types of radio, and its the UV3r type that gets most use purely because its easier to carry.

So the answer is both are good. if you want serious close in comms, get one of each. But also look at the discussions on CB and NVIS as these are both valid choices as well.

LS

RE: My real life Bug Out Radio - Nemesis - 27 July 2012

Good thread and as I am on and off the net today, working on the inside of my workshop, I am putting on hold the order for 2 UV 5R until I get a chance to read some of these threads today, and maybe look outside this forum to links that were posted.

well im just uploading a large free ebook resource at the moment that i mentioned in a new thread yesterday, i've finished downloading it all and just zipped it up and am uploading it, theres about 13 ebooks on communication alone there so it shoould be pretty dammned useful

i can also zip up and upload each section individually if you think that would help....or you could get the individual pdf's here

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/ebooks/

@LS...cheers for that mate, cleared up some confusion for me Big Grin....i think i'd probably go for the 5r myself as i dont have much money and it seems more versatile...hopefully ill be able to come up with suitable ways of recharging it Smile....it also sounds like its more viable in the long term as well

eventually ill have both i think, i like that you take the 3r with you hiking, i'd like to start hiking and doing outdoorsy things more myself so ill have to get one of them at some point!...although i think at this point the 5r sounds best for a BOB....but i'll see how i feel after more reading Big Grin
wow i wont be able to share the download link to that library for another 6 hours or so Tongue

(27 July 2012, 15:52)Hrusai Wrote: well im just uploading a large free ebook resource at the moment that i mentioned in a new thread yesterday, i've finished downloading it all and just zipped it up and am uploading it, theres about 13 ebooks on communication alone there so it shoould be pretty dammned useful

i can also zip up and upload each section individually if you think that would help....or you could get the individual pdf's here

@LS...cheers for that mate, cleared up some confusion for me Big Grin....i think i'd probably go for the 5r myself as i dont have much money and it seems more versatile...hopefully ill be able to come up with suitable ways of recharging it Smile....it also sounds like its more viable in the long term as well

eventually ill have both i think, i like that you take the 3r with you hiking, i'd like to start hiking and doing outdoorsy things more myself so ill have to get one of them at some point!...although i think at this point the 5r sounds best for a BOB....but i'll see how i feel after more reading Big Grin
wow i wont be able to share the download link to that library for another 6 hours or so Tongue

For the BOB, consider weight, and space, also how you are going to keep sensitive electonic devices protected from shock and the elements, especially water.....electronis and water do not mix.

As I wrote to Barneyboy, specify your exact needs, and then find a solution that fits. Finding asolution and then fitting it to your needs is the wrong way to go. For sure if I had only enough money for one of this sort of radio, it'd probably be the 5r. My advice to you though is to make sure that you can also find a way to protect and recharge it.

LS
(27 July 2012, 16:02)Lightspeed Wrote:
(27 July 2012, 15:52)Hrusai Wrote: well im just uploading a large free ebook resource at the moment that i mentioned in a new thread yesterday, i've finished downloading it all and just zipped it up and am uploading it, theres about 13 ebooks on communication alone there so it shoould be pretty dammned useful

For the BOB, consider weight, and space, also how you are going to keep sensitive electonic devices protected from shock and the elements, especially water.....electronis and water do not mix.

As I wrote to Barneyboy, specify your exact needs, and then find a solution that fits. Finding asolution and then fitting it to your needs is the wrong way to go. For sure if I had only enough money for one of this sort of radio, it'd probably be the 5r. My advice to you though is to make sure that you can also find a way to protect and recharge it.

LS

PS:

IF ANY OF YOU ENTERPRISING CHAPS ARE WEB SEARCHING ALTERNATE HANDHELD RADIOS, YOU'LL COME ACROSS A BEAST CALLED A FEDAIXIN FD-880. SPEC IS SIMILAR TO THE UV 5R, BUT IT CLAIMS TO BE WATERPROOF.

I PURCHASED ONE OF THESE AND CAN CONFIRM THAT IT IS NOT WATERPROOF AT ALL. ITS PROBABLY NOT EVEN SHOWER-PROOF. BUT EVEN SO ITS A BEAUTIFULLY CONSTRUCTED RADIO AND WORKS PRETTY WELL. BEWARE OF THE MISLEADING CLAIMS ON THIS ONE THOUGH. (ITS ALSO 20QUID MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE 5R)

cheers for that extra message LS...i'd avoid anything that offers anything less than a long and proven track record of being shock and water resistant Tongue...i'd go a similar route to you and buy a known and reliable waterproof and shockproof case for my radio...as money is most definately an object i'd rather spend 60 quid on a case and a uv 5r Tongue

i guess my needs for a radio set would be primarily to keep in contact with the SUKnet crew and depending on when TEOTWAWKI happens and if i have myself a group, i'd also use it for communications with them, as well as monitoring the situation via eavesdropping on public emergency or government broadcasts to see whats actually happening while im in my secure BOL Smile....i think when i got to my BOL with my crew we'd be scavenging the loca area for resources so it would good to keep in radio contact with them upto 20 miles maximum as a local transmission radius, and upto a few hundred miles to keep in contact with all you SUK members Smile

(27 July 2012, 16:14)Hrusai Wrote: cheers for that extra message LS...i'd avoid anything that offers anything less than a long and proven track record of being shock and water resistant Tongue...i'd go a similar route to you and buy a known and reliable waterproof and shockproof case for my radio...as money is most definately an object i'd rather spend 60 quid on a case and a uv 5r Tongue

i guess my needs for a radio set would be primarily to keep in contact with the SUKnet crew and depending on when TEOTWAWKI happens and if i have myself a group, i'd also use it for communications with them, as well as monitoring the situation via eavesdropping on public emergency or government broadcasts to see whats actually happening while im in my secure BOL Smile....i think when i got to my BOL with my crew we'd be scavenging the loca area for resources so it would good to keep in radio contact with them upto 20 miles maximum as a local transmission radius, and upto a few hundred miles to keep in contact with all you SUK members Smile

OK,

Don't buy a UV5r then. It won't do what you want.

"upto 20 miles maximum " you'e in CB territory here.

Keeping in contact with SUK preppers...??? ... first snag is that you need to kow how far away from you they are.... and being an OPSEC consious bunch, its not likely that you'll find that out on this forum.

So to have a good chance of finding other preppers you have to go CB and hope that you'll find someoe within say 10 miles of you or Ham and NVIS to find people within 100 to 200 miles of you ( but not many preppers are currently setting up for NVIS as its costly, complea, requires relatively big antennas, and will need a radio operating license in the current environment.

awh sucks xD so what would you say a maximum range of a uv52 setup would be? 10 miles max?

well i would like to keep in contact with all you guys, but if its too hard then i wont bother....but the whole point of surviving an apocalypse aint to simply be on your own till you die, your gonna need to band together in time whatever happens...we're social creatures and we dont accomplish anywhere near as much on our own, whereas we'd make a good little tribe xD

plus i reckon us alot would have one hell of a post apocalypse party xD

hmm so cb radio is probably a good avenue to go down then? i dont think i'd go for nvis or ham, as they seem expensive and bulky Tongue

(27 July 2012, 16:30)Hrusai Wrote: awh sucks xD so what would you say a maximum range of a uv52 setup would be? 10 miles max?

well i would like to keep in contact with all you guys, but if its too hard then i wont bother....but the whole point of surviving an apocalypse aint to simply be on your own till you die, your gonna need to band together in time whatever happens...we're social creatures and we dont accomplish anywhere near as much on our own, whereas we'd make a good little tribe xD

plus i reckon us alot would have one hell of a post apocalypse party xD

hmm so cb radio is probably a good avenue to go down then? i dont think i'd go for nvis or ham, as they seem expensive and bulky Tongue

The 5r will achieve 3 to say 12 miles range on average, so you should plan around an expecation of say 6 or 7 miles.

CB will do better, say 10 miles, but only with a good sized, probably fixed antenna. A hand held unit will perform largely th e same as the 5r

Ham and in particular High Frequency Ham equipment will get you best range but the antennas really do have to be fized, especially for transmitting and these things will be 20 to 40 metres long.

Your point about not wanting to be on your own after the event and wanting to communicate with people changes things. ( but read a lot about this as communicating and reaching out runs a big risk of getting you raided....

But assuming everything has sttled down to a steady state after the event, I think you'l find most renaining-operative radio stations will be of the hand held PMR446 variety. I personally encouage every prepper to be at least cover off this format ( and the 5r does so with ease)

i haven't a view on wether CB or Ham will be next most common.

There are a lot more existing Ham stationsin the UK ( around 65,000) but ham operators are somewhat aged as a group of people and one has to wonder how many of them will make through the apocalype? ( then again these guys are very resiliant, having grown up and lived through times of depression and war, so they might just surprise everyone)

Current CB stations fall into three groups. Feckless idiots who just use them today as a form of low cost social amusement, Truck drivers and CB enthusiasts, and Preppers. Foget about the first group they will not be around once they run out of crisps. The last two groups, are generally hardy, reailiant, and in the case of our own kind, prepared. So there could be a disproportionately large number of post SHTF CB stations operating.

On this forum we are trying to establish common ground between preppers so that valid radio comms choices can be made. If you want to have guaranteed long range coms the Ham route is the way to go, and a number of us are doing just that even as I write.

There's a groupe who (rightly) believe that it is most important to be able to commnicate over a smaller area, one that correspondes to approximately one days travel ob fot from the BOL. This equates to approx 10 -15 miles range and CB is adequate for this. This same range is possible on VHF and UHF but without using heavy power, this will require the use of beam antennas. This may be viable long after the event, but initially will draw lots of attenton and will certainly be bad for OPSEC.

The walkie talkie rote is the easiest to implemt and easiest to grab and go if Bugging out is called for, but its also the least effective range wise.

Difficult decisions I know. Look up PFR3a, adn Small wonder labs SW 40 for low cost ham solutions, Truck King sell base lebvel CBs for around 50 quid, and hand held CBs will set you back around 100. PMR446 and compatible stuff we've already discussed.

Gotta go now, Mrs LS calls.

LS