Survival UK Forums
Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Thinking aloud about a gathering place (/showthread.php?tid=2319)

Pages: 1 2 3

Thinking aloud about a gathering place - NorthernRaider - 8 August 2012

Just think about us getting together occasionally as a group or as individuals socially and for cross training on stuff like radios or skill at arms.

Can anyone thing of a place we could use / hire to do archery practise, radio practise, camping where we could have a BBQ or pit fire. Some place that we as a group or as private citizens could book up to use?

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Skean Dhude - 8 August 2012

(8 August 2012, 11:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just think about us getting together occasionally as a group or as individuals socially and for cross training on stuff like radios or skill at arms.

Can anyone thing of a place we could use / hire to do archery practise, radio practise, camping where we could have a BBQ or pit fire. Some place that we as a group or as private citizens could book up to use?

The age old problem. Where? We need one in every county really and even then some won't turn up.

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - NorthernRaider - 8 August 2012

Again just bouncing thoughts but I feel / think the more seriously commited types and on occasion perhaps the more casual prepper would possibly be willing to travel up to 150 miles for a suitable venue where folks can camp in tents, bashas or bug our campers, BBQ, shoot and test out kit. Ergo just north of Brum would possibly be a good area.

Yes I know the folks from the south east wont even go as far as Northampton so we wont even bother with that region.

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Prepaday - 8 August 2012

I can travel by train but if it's in the middle of no where and I need to spend a fortune on a taxi to get from station to venue..it's a no go for me..sorry Sad

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Paul - 8 August 2012

I'd love to come and meet BUT:-

My QTH to the center of Brum, 130 miles.
There and back, 260 miles @ 11 mp liter @ £1.38 = £33 fuel.
How much to camp?
Other Costs?

Worried about money? Yep, you're right.
Like a lot of folk, there is a hell of a lot of week left after I pay all of my bills.

Prep / Paul we are only thrashing out ideas, chances are for example someone could get you from a station, and TBH I doubt if their would be a meet in the next few weeks. But and please dont take this as a dig at anyone on this forum, but in my experience (painful experience) that i have in the past organised meets for folks up north ( Penrith), in the midlands (Brum) and in the west country ( Nr Exeter) and even though in many cases WE have taken on all the costs of hiring the venues and even though we have given a YEARS notice its been truly amazing how many supposed survivalists (who are supposed to be ready to bug out at a moments notice) annouce that (A) Not enough notice to come or ( Its inconvenient ) etc.

So as I said in my original post the idea is just thinking aloud and will only actually interest the heavy weight preppers who do get about.

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Prepaday - 8 August 2012

If you do arrange a meet up, give me a shout Smile

(8 August 2012, 20:13)Prepaday Wrote: If you do arrange a meet up, give me a shout Smile

Of course, one thing about SD and myself is when we try and set it up its for everyone.Smile

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Barneyboy - 8 August 2012

we all should have a meat in norfolk ,its very flat so we will see them comming for miles

RE: Thinking aloud about a gathering place - Hrusai - 8 August 2012

well i for one am happy to go 2-300 miles for a big event, especially if i can take some skills home, even if it means i got to grab my bob and walk my way there! (to be honest i like the idea of doing that, as i have almost no money and it'd be a good experience to do a long trek and test all my equipment properly, as in the case of an event you must be prepared to do whatever it takes (also i want to do the Appalachian trail so ill be walking up and down the length of england in preperation!

at any rate i may know some people with a fair amount of private land which we'd be able to use, although im not sure exactly where it is Tongue....ill make some enquiries and see what i can come up with! but the place im thinking of is a whole forest thats privately owned by my dads best mates grandad, so it'd be quite likely we could use it for an event/training Smile

anyway ill see what i come up with and have a look around on the net for some cheap places to hire, hell once i get a job and get some income ill be happy to chip in Smile