Survival UK Forums
Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans (/showthread.php?tid=4139)

Pages: 1 2

Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - NorthernRaider - 6 February 2013

Tip of the Iceberg both sides of the Atlantic I reckon.

http://news.sky.com/story/1048135/car-sleepers-us-middle-class-hit-by-crisis

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Highlander - 6 February 2013

Yes, I can quiet understand all this, the cost of living in the US is a lot worse than it is here,..and there is nothing to fall back on in hard times

I think we would see a lot more doing it here if the weather was better

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Scythe13 - 6 February 2013

Sorry Highlander, but you'd see a lot more if you checked the right places.

It's going on in the UK. I would put money on BP having seen it around Glastonbury and places like that, same as I have.

I know a bunch of guys through my security work that sleep in their cars, because their jobs don't pay enough to cover rental accommodation.

It's crazy, but drive down some A roads and check the laybyes. The larger ones that used to ONLY house lorries are now regularly scattered with a few cars. Just off car parks, you'll see the same thing.

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Highlander - 6 February 2013

(6 February 2013, 21:14)Scythe13 Wrote: Sorry Highlander, but you'd see a lot more if you checked the right places.

I am sure that I havent, we dont see a lot of `those places` up here, we are protected to a certain degree

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - NorthernRaider - 6 February 2013

Theres guys I used to know who worked for the aerospace industry instruments industry in Exeter area and none of them could afford the accomodation so many of em lived full time in Stealth Campers and the local cops and council agreed to ignore them laid up in a particular lay by mon to fri. ( Stealth camper is a motor camper van without side windows, only roof lights so from the outside they look just like vans)

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Tibbs735 - 6 February 2013

Theres some fairly "normal" looking people camped out in a tent under a local disused railway bridge. They were there through all the snow etc.

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - MaryN - 7 February 2013

I've read a few articles recently on the tent cities on the west coast of the US. There but for the grace of God, perhaps....

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Scythe13 - 7 February 2013

(7 February 2013, 04:59)MaryN Wrote: I've read a few articles recently on the tent cities on the west coast of the US. There but for the grace of God, perhaps....

Too late MaryN. Check out some of the news threads on here. There are quite a few about how bad the homeless situation is in the US. Having said that, the UK is MUCH better at hiding such things in the media.

I'm sure many of the older-timers on here will remember a thread with a video where the people were living in the woods, but loads were suffering from respiratory diseases caused by the black fungus/mold growing on their pillows!

The fact of the matter is, the US and UK are going to be a copy of South Africa, with the rich and poor divide, instead of the black-white divide. I read that if you want to see the future of the US, look at South Africa, but change colour for money. It's happening, and as much as we all want it to not be so, that's just the way things are going.

Oh, and for everyone that said I don't know my stuff, a couple of years ago (and back in 2007, but I wasn't into prepping when I was sat with dad every weekend in a coffee shop discussing this depression, and other things), wasn't I harping on about how we're in a depression? Saying it was obviously a depression, but we're not labelling it as so? Some agreed (NR, BP, SD, among others), yet others just said it was a double dip recession and I was being negative. Hate to say it, but...ITYS (I told you so).

So, about precious metals......haha.

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - bigpaul - 7 February 2013

(6 February 2013, 21:14)Scythe13 Wrote: I would put money on BP having seen it around Glastonbury and places like that, same as I have.

too true Scythe! i found one guy one morning sleeping in a wheely bin! they all slept in cars, some had cheap almost scrap caravans(2 berth size -nothing big), used to see a female in the car park living in an old ambulance.

RE: Facinating article on homeless middle class Americans - Scythe13 - 7 February 2013

(7 February 2013, 14:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(6 February 2013, 21:14)Scythe13 Wrote: I would put money on BP having seen it around Glastonbury and places like that, same as I have.
too true Scythe! i found one guy one morning sleeping in a wheely bin! they all slept in cars, some had cheap almost scrap caravans(2 berth size -nothing big), used to see a female in the car park living in an old ambulance.

Wheely bin?!?!?! That's crazy!!!