Survival UK Forums
Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: An Open Box (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. (/showthread.php?tid=4723)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Highlander - 7 April 2013

I might be wrong, but I dont think we would have the problems that you guys further south would have, yes, we do have dogs, and they would pack together that's for sure, but number of dogs per acreage means that we would be less likely to encounter them.

.... and of course they will die off fairly quickly, even though there is food around that they would eat in the form of deer, they simply couldn't catch it.

I would still keep dogs in mind though for at least the first month or so

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Luci_ferson - 7 April 2013

il carry my shovel everywhere.
nothing takes a dogs head off like a shovel.
well nothing that don't use gunpowder, but I aint got one of those.

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Tartar Horde - 7 April 2013

If the SHTF in a big way and any of these top predators escape into the countryside we are looking at major problems regarding the UK. Our North American cousins have the edge with being able to own weapons sufficient enough to protect themselves, unfortunately in our restrictive society we do not have that luxury.
Most people have no idea what these animals are capable of as they have only seen them in the artificial environment of zoos and wild life parks. With any serious breakdown you would see these animals inhabit a world of endless opportunities. Imagine all the farm animals they could feed on, not to mention the wild game like Deer that are so common these days, it would be the promised land. All the top feline predators would be able to survive the UK winter, as would the Wolves and Bears.
Any Human survivors would see themselves thrust back into a world inhabited by the predators of our Ice Age ancestors, without the weapons to protect themselves. Unless you have firearms can you seriously imagine having to fight off a Leopard, Lion or Tiger, never mind a pack off Dogs or Wolves, and what about Bears. I like to think I am a decent archer but I would have to be insane or desperate to even consider taking on these animals with anything less than than a serious firearm.

like highlander said, be long time before any of them ever need to come this far north.
theres far too much food down south.

the coldness of the winters would keep most away.
sadly some predators cover hundreds of miles in the summer months looking for easy prey (things that don't expect them)

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Metroyeti - 7 April 2013

Wolves can cover something riducolus like 50miles aday

most of the zoo animals would probable be afraid of our 2 foot rats lol

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - bigpaul - 8 April 2013

our is fed on dried food, in a bag not tinned. although i have fed past dogs with the dog meat that comes in like a sausage shape.

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Metroyeti - 8 April 2013

Your best off feeding them dry, tinnedd food is 80% water, worse for there teeth, and is generaly full of crap

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - Luci_ferson - 8 April 2013

them some of those sausage feeds if you read the packet it tells you theyre 98% water
how can 98 % water be any use as food , and it has no right to be solid at room temperature.
these foods and tinned dog foods both have an awfull side effect on a lot of dogs.

bad gas.

all my dogs stay on dried foods. with the odd bit of meat thrown in occasionaly.

last thing I want is a load of dog farts when im in an enclosed space. my BOL measures only 12ft x 8ft.

RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF. - BeardyMan - 8 April 2013

(7 April 2013, 18:07)Luci_ferson Wrote: since I can get huge sacks of it for less than £20 theyd last around 3 or 4 months.
1 sack at the moment lasts our dog a full year. (its a terrier)

One problem with Winston (rotty) 15kg bag of food lasts 2 to 3 weeks, £55 a pop. Expensive dog to keep fed, but need decent food to keep his joints healthy.