Survival UK Forums
URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Threats and Risks (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn (/showthread.php?tid=5039)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - NorthernRaider - 20 May 2013

Guys if you can tap into US news sources or Sky, A huge great storm front stretching from TX to the great lakes is unleashing waves of tornados of massive size. Entire districts and communities in OK city have been wiped out.

Use this tragedy to watch and learn from how these poor people react and how the authorities respond.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Scythe13 - 20 May 2013

I hope everyone's okay.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/viewart/20130520/NEWS/130520027/Tornado-churns-through-Oklahoma-City-suburbs-

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Mortblanc - 20 May 2013

This system has been churning around for a couple of days already and has just now gotten well organized. It will sweep across the plains states for a couple of days as it heads east.

These storm systems are as large as the UK, if you can imagine such. When they start moving there is not escaping them, no bugging out and no buying gear to cope with it. Being underground in a concrete bunker is the only safe place, then you just hope nothing blocks the door.

These systems spawn hundreds of funnel clouds, each capable of wiping out small towns and doing great damage, as well as creating funnels a mile wide on occasion.

The winds are in excess of 200 mph and drive pieces of lumber through trees, overturn cars and simply make houses evaporate.

We had one about 2 mile from my home last year that moved a 2,500sq/ft home 100 yards and set it down in a field intact. It hit a small development of 300 homes and not a single home escaped major damage.

As for hoping everyone is OK, that is not going to happen. Sometimes these systems kill hundreds. The storm that set down near me last year killed 25.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - NorthernRaider - 20 May 2013

I've been to Moore OK a few times, apparently much of it was wiped off the map about an hour ago just as it was back in the 90s.

OK first useful intel to note is the authorities have ordered that ALL UTILITIES ( gas, electricity and water) are turned off in South OK City and whats left of Moore, this is to prevent fires, explosions, rescuers getting electricuted and to stop survivors trapped in cellars and bsements from being drowned by burst water pipes. I think the cell phone system is still working as Fox was interviewing a chap whose home has gone but could still talk via phone.

So as we can see from this aweful tragedy that even in the immediate aftermath you may find your heat, light and water cut off.

I'm praying my friends in Liberal KS are OK

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Mortblanc - 20 May 2013

When they cut off power and water it is not turned back on until they have verified that all breaks and downed lines are safe.

It is not unusual to have power cut off for 10 days or more.

News is on right now, two schools are gone as well as a hospital. Gone! Nothing left!

The only thing this can be compared to is being in the path of a bomb run where everything is devastated for a miles wide path 50 miles long.

The rescue workers have requested that no airplanes or helicopters fly over this area so that they can hear victims calling to them from the rubble.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Scythe13 - 20 May 2013

That's intense!!!

My heart and prayers go out to everyone over there.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - NorthernRaider - 21 May 2013

Oh shit, 91 people dead including 20 primary children, on Sky news they are saying many of the children drowned when they were pinned down by falling debris and the schools water mains burst.

Another lesson being highlighted was the hundreds of vehicles smashed to pieces by the storm like the red SUV now residing on a destroyed school roof, Their fuel tanks have been torn open and petrol is sloshed across everything, the air is places is full of volatile petrol fumes just needing a spark.

Another report saying the sewage systems have been destroyed in places so the tap water cannot be used.

I've got friends in NORMAN to the south and in LIBERAL just to the north, praying they are OK cos the phone lines are out.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Mandlaka - 21 May 2013

This is just horrible.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all over there.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - bigpaul - 21 May 2013

I agree with the sentiment, its a shame 91 people died, but I am struggling to see the relevance to Brit prepping, I don't know about oop north but we don't have typhoons or hurricanes in the south west of England, the most we get is heavy rain and maybe a bit of snow, sure high winds sometimes. .knocks the odd tree or telegraph pole down sometimes a roof or two but nothing to compare to what our American Cousins have just suffered.

RE: URGENT Oklahoma storms watch & learn - Grumpy Grandpa - 21 May 2013

Never say never BP - isn't it just a few years ago that the south coast got flattened? And I think there's worldwide evidence of weather events getting bigger, stronger and more deadly...