Survival UK Forums
Bartering - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Rebuilding Society (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Thread: Bartering (/showthread.php?tid=5050)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bartering - River Song - 22 May 2013

There has been some discussion about bartering in a post SHTF situation.

What would YOU barter and more importantly WHY.

I'll start with

Coffee - Oh yes - liquid esperanto peace maker
Meds - particularly any antibiotics
Tools - shovels hoes etc for gardening

As a side issue, I saw an interview with a young woman from Sarajevo. She said that she had food and water and clothing but what she really wanted was a nice shampoo !!

So .. put together a few little boxes containing

Soap
Shampoo
Toothpaste and Brush
Tampons
Lipstick
Chocolate

... and be prepared for some serious sex Smile

Sorry should have opened my eyes and seen BP's post

Mea Culpa

RE: Bartering - bigpaul - 22 May 2013

nope, no bartering here! too dangerous, what we haven't got we live without.

RE: Bartering - Mooski88 - 22 May 2013

I would never barter. I see it as showing other people wot I have. And other people will want it. If I don't have it I most likely don't needed it. If I needed it nature will somehow provide - now how do I plug this tv into a tree?

(22 May 2013, 13:50)Mooski88 Wrote: I would never barter. I see it as showing other people wot I have. And other people will want it. If I don't have it I most likely don't needed it.

yep, that's the way I see it, learn to live without it, eventually you will have to anyway.

It's why I'm on here everyday reading section after section. Knowledge is our greatest weapon when the SHTF. And I plan on surviving!!!!

(22 May 2013, 13:56)Mooski88 Wrote: Knowledge is our greatest weapon when the SHTF. And I plan on surviving!!!!

every word above is so true. I plan on surviving too and will do ANYTHING I have to to make it so.

RE: Bartering - Highlander - 22 May 2013

Thats all very good until you desperately need something yourself,..lets say a member of your family goes down with something, and you need some sort of medicine,.. bartering something someone else wants might be the only way of treating the person

I can see what you are saying,.. but at some point we will all run of some very important goods, that we will probably need to replace,... bartering might be the only way to go a few months or years down the line

A few months or years down the line I doubt I would have anything to barter with except my body Wink If my family needs something badly enough I will get it tho. Survival of the fittest!

(22 May 2013, 17:37)Highlander Wrote: Thats all very good until you desperately need something yourself,..lets say a member of your family goes down with something, and you need some sort of medicine,.. bartering something someone else wants might be the only way of treating the person
OTC medicines wont last very long, they'll be the first thing to go.

(22 May 2013, 17:56)bigpaul Wrote:
(22 May 2013, 17:37)Highlander Wrote: Thats all very good until you desperately need something yourself,..lets say a member of your family goes down with something, and you need some sort of medicine,.. bartering something someone else wants might be the only way of treating the person
OTC medicines wont last very long, they'll be the first thing to go.

Yeah I have a lot of meds that are out of date including morphine. I refuse to throw them away. If I need them I will take them. When the STHF dates on stuff are gunna mean absolutely nothing. And when your in so much pain that morphine is needed you most likely won't care!