Survival UK Forums
Shoe making - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Clothing (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Shoe making (/showthread.php?tid=5465)

Pages: 1 2

Shoe making - Highlander - 1 July 2013

I know that many of us have several pairs of shoes/boots, but after a serious event when we will find ourselves walking everywhere, and putting our boots through a hard time, they may not last as long as we hoped they would.

Which would force us into either repairing our boots or making new ones,..so how do we do it

First of all from what I have read its not as easy as it might seem, at least not making a `normal` type of boot, trying to stitch a piece of leather to a thick sole is never going to be easy

The American Indians used a one piece leather to make Moccasins, they simply wrapped a piece of leather around the foot and sewed an upper over the toes, and because most of the `shoes` was one piece it was waterproof,..and that's probably the easiest way, when we find ourselves without footwear

So how would you make shoes?,... the way I see it, I would find myself a heavy piece of leather, cut it about a good half inch bigger than my foot, I would then take some much softer leather, fur or hair inside, and sew onto the sole, it would have to be done in four pieces, the sides the heal and the toe piece,.. the two uppers having hole punched in for the laces,....I think a curved needle is going to be needed

So I think a set of good curved needles should be on our prep list, I already have curved sack needles, but I think that they may be too weak

RE: Shoe making - Grumpy Grandpa - 1 July 2013

At least you've got a head start on the hides - your place must be piled to the rafters with deerskinSmile...

RE: Shoe making - Barneyboy - 1 July 2013

old tyres for the sole I think

(1 July 2013, 19:56)Barneyboy Wrote: old tyres for the sole I think

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tyre+shoes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5dDRUZK-BOel0wWL_IDoCA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=604

RE: Shoe making - Grumpy Grandpa - 1 July 2013

Nice one BB - hadn't thought of that...

RE: Shoe making - NorthernRaider - 1 July 2013

This article is a lot of cobblers Smile

RE: Shoe making - Mortblanc - 1 July 2013

When I disappear from the forum for a week, or for a weekend I am at some historic site, museum or camp teaching just exactly these skills. During the month of June I spent 10 full days in one camp and two weekends of 4 days each at museums teaching exactly what you wish to know. I can cover your needs from the top of your head to the tip of your toes.

If you fellows really want to know how to do these things I can teach you, but it is going to take a lot of links and a great deal of explanation time to do so.

You are also going to have to actually MAKE the items before you can understand how to make the items. It is a hands on skill and not something you can just read and declare "I know all about that".

I am not going to dive into a long thread unless you really have an interest and not just academic curiosity.

(1 July 2013, 21:16)Mortblanc Wrote: When I disappear from the forum for a week, or for a weekend I am at some historic site, museum or camp teaching just exactly these skills. During the month of June I spent 10 full days in one camp and two weekends of 4 days each at museums teaching exactly what you wish to know. I can cover your needs from the top of your head to the tip of your toes.

If you fellows really want to know how to do these things I can teach you, but it is going to take a lot of links and a great deal of explanation time to do so.

You are also going to have to actually MAKE the items before you can understand how to make the items. It is a hands on skill and not something you can just read and declare "I know all about that".

I am not going to dive into a long thread unless you really have an interest and not just academic curiosity.

yes pal cheers im interested

RE: Shoe making - Highlander - 1 July 2013

(1 July 2013, 19:34)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: At least you've got a head start on the hides - your place must be piled to the rafters with deerskinSmile...

Strangely enough GG, I never keep them, although I have promised myself I am going to brain tan a hide soon

(1 July 2013, 19:56)Barneyboy Wrote: old tyres for the sole I think

Old tyres is a great idea

(1 July 2013, 21:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: This article is a lot of cobblers Smile

Now there is another great idea, clogs have been around for centuries

(1 July 2013, 21:16)Mortblanc Wrote: When I disappear from the forum for a week, or for a weekend I am at some historic site, museum or camp teaching just exactly these skills. During the month of June I spent 10 full days in one camp and two weekends of 4 days each at museums teaching exactly what you wish to know. I can cover your needs from the top of your head to the tip of your toes.

I would also be very interested, I think its something that we should all have a working knowledge in

RE: Shoe making - Scythe13 - 1 July 2013

Like BB has suggested.

Also, if you're into barefoot running you may have heard about these, but they're worth learning to make....hurachies. Google Invisible Shoes

(1 July 2013, 21:44)Scythe13 Wrote: Like BB has suggested.

Also, if you're into barefoot running you may have heard about these, but they're worth learning to make....hurachies. Google Invisible Shoes

I got the idea from you pal I think