Survival UK Forums
Shooting low scope fix - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Hunting (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Guns (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: Shooting low scope fix (/showthread.php?tid=6980)

Shooting low scope fix - Scythe13 - 26 May 2014

Time for a lovely quick fix post.

If you have a scope that is looking too high, and you're shots are going low, even if you have adjusted the scope's zero to the very maximum possible, and you're still shooting too high, panic not. There is a solution.

If you adjust the angle of the scope, you'll be able to readjust the line of the scope.

The trick to this, tin foil.

Get a few strips of tin foil and place them between the rear scope bracket, and the scope. So it becomes like a sandwich between scope and bracket. The idea is to offset the flat view from the scope, and realign it to a slight downward view.

What this new angle of view from the scope will do, is to recalibrate the natural angle the scope is looking at.

Granted you'll have to start zeroing your scope again. But if you constantly vary the amount of tin foil in the bottom of the rear bracket, you'll get to an amount that jig's the scope's line of sight, to just where you need it to be. Thus solving your problem of shooting too low all the time, and not being able to get your scope to shoot at that level.

Best of all, the same works in reverse. If you're shooting too high, and your scope just isn't able to adjust to that line of fire, and no matter what, your shots are all going high...reverse the process. Add the foil to the front bracket, between the bracket and scope, and you'll change the low angle of view that you currently have, to a higher angle of sight, closer to your 'high shots'. Remember play around with the amount of foil, until you can use the normal adjusting mechanisms on the scope to get a true zero.

You should be able to get a perfect zero without the foil. But if you can't, a little foil goes a long way.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy.

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Binnie - 27 May 2014

all fine and well, but getting the right height scope mounts would be 100% better!

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Scythe13 - 27 May 2014

(27 May 2014, 09:57)Binnie Wrote: all fine and well, but getting the right height scope mounts would be 100% better!

Yeah mate, totally agree.

This is just a nice cheap shim that could be useful to know and save a good few pounds.

Also, if a person has a scope that seems to drop zero pretty quickly, when it's at the mechanical lowest, the foil shim will quickly sort it out and prolong the life of the scope, or at least allow a person some time to find a new one.

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Stewart - 27 May 2014

Camera film works well too

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Mortblanc - 27 May 2014

I prefer cutting shims from aluminum cans.

It does not compress.

I have found that even the best scope mounts/rails are often off enough to crap out the internal adjustments of many scopes.

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Scythe13 - 28 May 2014

(27 May 2014, 23:23)Mortblanc Wrote: I prefer cutting shims from aluminum cans.

It does not compress.

Do you not find that a bit harsh on the outer surface of the scope?

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Barneyboy - 28 May 2014

bike inner tube cut into squares stops it slipping

RE: Shooting low scope fix - Mortblanc - 28 May 2014

(28 May 2014, 09:28)Scythe13 Wrote:

It does not compress.

Do you not find that a bit harsh on the outer surface of the scope?

What would be the difference between an aluminum shim and an aluminum scope ring?

Anything that compresses or is elastic is going to have too much "give" and allow change of impact.

I have also been forced to reverse the scope rings on occasion or even set one ring clamping one direction and the other ring the opposite or shim between the ring clam and the rail.

You can also shim the mount, placing shims between the gun and the mount to lift front or back.

There are even wedge shaped shims/mounts used for mounting scopes on .22 rimfires for long range shooting. We have some folks over here that shoot .22 LR at 300-400 meters.

RE: Shooting low scope fix - HERNE - 12 June 2022

It does not compress.

I have found that even the best scope mounts/rails are often off enough to crap out the internal adjustments of many scopes.

This!

Smile